Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

choosing my first printer

Posted by nightmare0 
choosing my first printer
March 19, 2015 01:29PM
Hello

I would like to ask you if you could help me with choosing my first 3d printer.

I know a little of programming in C. I work in injection moulding company, so I have access to a lot of useful stuff. And I have a lot of experience with plastic. I also had knowledge with electronics ( I am modding gaming consoles as my second job in free time)

I had never worked with 3d printer before. So I think, that best option for beginner, would be to buy a complete kit. To eliminate building problems.

My budget for printer is about 400 USD. in future I would like to start improve my printer, as soon I learn anything. I know I could save some money and buy some more expensive printer. But that's not for me. I want this as hobby not some professional use.

I was checking some cheap printers like Geeetech. It has acrylic frame. In future I can buy or make better frame. I was looking for some reviews but I couldn't find any useful. I don't know how relevant are ratings from eBay/aliexpress.

Do somebody has real experience with this printer or know something about them? Or do you know some other printer with better quality And similar price?
Do you think it is good idea to start with cheap China printer and start upgrading or start with something better?

I don't know what should I expect from this China printer compared to some better printer. I would appreciate any opinion or advice to start with.

Thank you
Re: choosing my first printer
March 19, 2015 01:52PM
March 19, 2015 01:54PM
Hello,

I am having the same questions as you. after reading and youtubing and questioning.

I would say: stay away from Geeetech, I haven't seen ONE good comment from them, and everything seem to be a issue!

Now, a good start is to know the size you are looking to print.

Personally, I am considering the Two-up. for many reasons: 280$, and I will be learning. I already have plans to mod it. If everything go's to hell, 300$ is not so bad. Also, and this is why I am more interested into it, most the problems have been solved. if you watch and follow everything from 3DprintedLife you will see that trouble shooting has been done, and that helps. ( the one up is 4x4x5 inch , the two-up is 7x7x5 inch).

There is also a few other's, more costly, but well proven, like the printrbot 4x4x4 (400$+)

If you want something in the 8x8x8, in the 400$, good quality, there is many, clear, instructions on how to built all sort of RepRap.

And this is what I am planning, but because I do not know much of 3d printer, I am buying a cheep one, learn how it works, get it working. then built one to what I like knowing what I am doing, use my little printer to print parts ^_^ that way, I should get what I want at the end, at the size I want it, and still under most printers kit ^_^

Or get a MakerFarm Prusa i3v kit ^_^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 01:56PM by J.A.C..
March 19, 2015 02:12PM
Thank you ggherbaz. I found this review after sending this thread. It mostly positive.

I would like to get classic 20cm kit. Thank you for your suggestion. But I would rather go with prusa design. And of course I checked makerfarm. But their kit cost over 550 USD + shipping. It is quite over my budget. Maybe 500 could be acceptable with shipping included.

I was thinking about to source my own parts. But I am little afraid, it would cause more problems with compatibility than complete kit. If I order bad parts + shipping to Slovakia, it may cost more than kit. I want some some cheaper kit to start with and start upgrading over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 02:16PM by nightmare0.
March 19, 2015 04:52PM
I think Folger Tech is the main source of Prusa i3 kits in the $300ish range, though there are certainly more options. There is a thread reviewing the quality of the kit and while I don't follow it, I believe they are constantly making improvements.

I bought a Rostock Mini Pro from 3D Printer Czar, though I was also considering their Prusa i3 kit. While it is more than the $400 budget you were considering, I believe they do offer free international shipping plus VAT and I was very impressed with the quality of the packaging on my Rostock.

Keep in mind though that the cheaper the kit, the more corners are cut to keep the costs down. Which is why places like Folgers and even 3D Printer Czar will often have mixed reviews. While something like MakerFarm might be more costly in the short term, in the long term it could mean a longer life out of your components.

Good luck with whatever you decide on though, I think the Prusa i3 should definitely make for a good first printer that you can slowly upgrade and improve as you become more comfortable with 3D printing.
March 19, 2015 05:17PM
I was looking at the same thing, however, after reading these forums I came to a conclusion...

The cheapest kits are cheap for a few key reasons:

1. They have cheap parts such as minimally spec stepper motors, bearings, etc
2. They have minimal customer service

You end up replacing bent smooth rods, buying better steppers and bearings, trying to print better parts and endlessly troubleshooting issues.

Buy a good kit or build from scratch.

You can get a great Wilson ts kit in the USA for an extra $80 over your budget, trust me, its worth it.

Just my opinion.
March 21, 2015 12:49PM
Thank you replies.
I have read a lot of reviews now. I think I will save a little bit more and buy one of these printer. What do You think about these?

Wilson
Mendel 90
p3steel

I am also starting to think about sourcing my own parts. Some parts I can get from fork for free. That would make my printer cheaper. But I am not sure about it yet. If I can get it working.
Do you know any similar 3d printer kits with similar Quality and price?
March 21, 2015 04:50PM
I like the Mendel90 for its simplicity, its wiring management and its cost if you build it by yourself.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
March 26, 2015 05:00PM
On the RepRap.org , the video showed a Darwin. I like the design were the bed moves down as the build progresses. Do any of the newer versions have this feature?
March 27, 2015 08:05AM
Ultimaker

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
March 27, 2015 02:11PM
The Ultimaker is a nice printer, but I was thinking of one of the one of the Reprap models.
March 27, 2015 02:14PM
CoreXY and the Tantilus are the only gantry (?) style printers I am aware of. Not sure of any CoreXY kits though and I think Tantillus might be smaller then to want.
March 27, 2015 03:36PM
Kurzaa
CoreXY and the Tantilus are the only gantry (?) style printers I am aware of.
Pretty much any Cartesian printer is some variation of a gantry design. A gantry is just a structure on a movable platform supported by one or more sides that can move over or around an object. I think the correct term you're looking for is Cartesian-XY for where the bed moves in the z-axis while the extruder in the X and Y. Mendel-style bots would be Cartesian-XZ since the extruder moves in the X and Z plane while the bed moves in the Y.

H-Bot is also another name in the Cartesian-XY family.
March 27, 2015 09:06PM
I found plans for a Proteus on Open Builders that I liked very much. Thank you all for the help. smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login