Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 1.1.0 rc3 and babystepping

Posted by DjDemonD 
Marlin 1.1.0 rc3 and babystepping
February 18, 2016 03:59AM
Undoubtedly a useful feature to have, to be able to adjust the z height to achieve a better first layer during the start of a print. However is the z-offset this generates persistent? Do I need to use m500 (using mega/ramps) to save to eeprom after babystepping?
Re: Marlin 1.1.0 rc3 and babystepping
February 18, 2016 08:02AM
I had issues with inconsistent z-stop zero with the stock firmware on my Chinese prusa i3. I ended up installing 1.1.0_rc3 because of a thermistor replacement, and I was surprised when I hit my first "home all" to see the double movement (I assume that's what you mean by "babystepping"). I had previously put an indicator of sorts on my Z couplers (just a tack taped on) and after homing, I would manually turn the steppers until the pins lined up with a mark I'd made. Now, with the double step thing, they always return to the same marked spot so to answer, yes, it is persistent.

It's a great addition to the firmware. Thank you Marlin developers!
February 18, 2016 08:06AM
That's good news, but no what you're referring to is z probe repeatability testing. Babystepping is the ability to move the z axis up or down in very small increments using the encoder wheel on the Lcd, whilst printing, to fine tune the z offset without having to stop the print, reflash new firmware, or reslice the model and print again.

My issue is that I do not know if the setting is saved or it has to be done next time also (or instead I should make one of the changes above my next print).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 08:14AM by DjDemonD.
February 18, 2016 08:08AM
Interesting. I've never seen that in the firmware. Now I'll have to look for it.
February 18, 2016 08:16AM
It's available in the tune menu which you can only get to when a print is in progress, after heating bed/extruder. You need to enable it in configuration_adv.h
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login