Advanced

Purchased smaller NEMA 17 motors by accident

Posted by jaywalk101 
Purchased smaller NEMA 17 motors by accident
March 22, 2016 08:46AM
Hey guys,

I purchased the following NEMA 17 motors on Ebay by mistake:

[www.ebay.com]

Not sure what to do with them. It's not worth sending them back. Possibly thinking about building a smaller 3d printer with it. Any good ideas for a new future build I could use these for?

Thanks!
Re: Purchased smaller NEMA 17 motors by accident
March 22, 2016 08:52AM
The shock mounts are worth £5 each...so maybe keep them till you decide you really dont need them, once you get the bug you might want to build all sorts of things.
March 22, 2016 04:58PM
We have a solidoodle printer at the makerspace that uses NEMA-14 motors...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 22, 2016 05:38PM
The size of the motor is no problem unless you want to use one in a non-geared extruder. The torque is 0.22Nm which makes them about the same as the motors that RepRapPro used in all their kits. What is a problem is that the vendor doesn't specify the rated current, so we don't know whether they are a good match for standard stepper driver chips. If you measure the resistance of one of the windings, that will give a good clue about the rated current.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 23, 2016 02:34PM
dc42: Why not just test them and find the temperature at which they don't get too hot?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login