Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Choosing Board for Printer Conversion

Posted by DaGameFace 
Choosing Board for Printer Conversion
May 03, 2016 10:16AM
I have been toying with the idea of converting a replicator 2x to a reprap based machine, But i only have experience with arduino ramps controller which is only 12v power. The 2x has 24v power, and I would rather not change the power supply.

So the requirements for the board would be:
24v power
Capable of a dual extruder
preferably marlin compatible

I dont know what to look for in a good controller and any guidance would be appreciated.
VDX
Re: Choosing Board for Printer Conversion
May 03, 2016 11:03AM
... I'm using RADDS boards - ArduinoDue controller, Marlin4Due firmware and Pronterface ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 03, 2016 03:22PM
If you limit yourself to Marlin, you are missing out on advanced firmware features such as firmware configuration without recompiling, built in web interfaces, extruder pressure advance, and generation of precise step times. The Duet 0.8.5 runs RepRapFirmware, which provides all of these, and supports dual extrusion (expandable to 6 extruders with the addon board)

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 03, 2016 07:31PM
You can use a 'normal' ramps type setup, it you buy parts carefully

Use a Taurino Power mega [www.reprapdiscount.com] it designed to work on 12V-35V

Then get a ramps with 35v caps under the pololu modules, can normally be seen on the sellers images

Then the only thing you need to change is the headed bed fuse (most are only good to 16volts)
Most just short this fuse out with a large wire and put a 24v fuse in line with the heated bed cable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 07:32PM by Dust.
May 03, 2016 07:52PM
Radds\due is a good choice for you if you want to start marlin firmware and maybe try more firmware after that , it run marlin , repetier and reprap firmware...

Duet is a good board if you like a4988 stepper driver ( cant change them, its solder to the board) its run reprap firmware ( I use it ,its a good firmware) but the board can only run that firmware unless there been some progress to make others firmwares run on it.

There are a couple 32 bits board you can chose from , smoothie, mks ,duet and radds... Check them out and chose whats important for you ( web interface directly or usb host ( octoprint or hook to a pc),stepper not solder on board, mulitiple firmware, all on board or more modular).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login