Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different calibration interior/exterior dimensions

Posted by pikelo 
Different calibration interior/exterior dimensions
August 05, 2012 02:00PM
Hello,

I'm calibrating my prusa and I had this issue while printing. Printing a piece of 26x16x16mm and a 8,1mm diam. vertical tube hole I got a 26,5x16,65x16mm exterior dimensions and a 7,2mm diametre tube hole.

Acording to the calibration steps, if I attend to the exterior dimensions calibration I should get around a 69 steps BUT if I attend to the tube dimensions I should calibrate with around a 79steps value.

Where is the problem? How should I solve it?

Regards
Attachments:
open | download - Calibracion.jpg (35.4 KB)
Re: Different calibration interior/exterior dimensions
August 05, 2012 02:44PM
26.5 - Plastic Expansion - steps/mm probably correct
16.65 - Plastic Expansion - steps/mm probably correct
16 - Not much expansion in this direction or steps/mm is off
7.2 - Hole Shrinkage - Quite severe (Slic3r?), you need to account for this in your models if your steps/mm is 100% correct.

Try out this model to make sure XYZ are correct - read the description about material expansion:
[www.thingiverse.com]
August 05, 2012 02:45PM
Have you measured bed/head travel as opposed to a printed object? It is far more accurate (provided you measure it accurately!)
August 05, 2012 02:53PM
Also make sure you run a single wall test and verify you're actually getting the extrusion width you are requesting.
August 05, 2012 03:07PM
@yydoctt measuring bed/head travel I should correct the steps following the external dimensions of the piece (decreasing the steps value to correct the 26.5 and the 16.65mm), but if I decrease the steps then I will get more narrow hole.
How should I correct this issue if it would be a plastic expansion problem?

@Pollygonhell I also printed single wall cube and the walls are 0.5mm as the requested dimensions on Slic3r 8.4.
August 05, 2012 03:48PM
Pikelo, I am saying your steps/mm are probably correct. Hole shrinkage is very common especially with slic3r. You should measure the head/bed travel and make that result your steps/mm - as this is more accurate than measuring printed parts.

Then to counter material expansion you can try reducing the temperature during print or use a fan.

Unfortunately I doubt you can do much about hole shrinkage other than altering the model - try changing the fill pattern or density. I think it is more a problem with Slic3r, though I haven't been following its development in a little while.
August 05, 2012 04:41PM
I have been using slic3r from a long time ago without this problem. I just changed T5 belts by T2.5 and got this issue.

With T5 belts didnt have this smaller diametre with the same stl model..
August 06, 2012 03:11PM
Definitely there is NO way of calibrating this issue. Always a mistake on exterior OR interior sizes. But the thing is before I was printing fine with this problem!!
August 06, 2012 03:15PM
Are you using the same version of Slic3r you were before changing the belts?
There was a bug in one of the 0.8.something versions of Slic3r where it would do what your seeing, though I think the error was only 0.1mm in each direction.
Have you looked at the GCode to see if it's doing the right thing?
August 06, 2012 03:28PM
I'm using the latest version the 8.4. How could I check the GCode to see if it is doing the right measures??
August 06, 2012 03:51PM
Slice something simple like a box, the distance between the paths one either side should be W-extrusionWidth where W is the expected width of the box.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login