Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

kit cost

Posted by stu121 
kit cost
August 14, 2012 05:26PM
Hi, have recently started looking into buying a mendel kit, It seems like the going price for the complete kit in the UK is £500

I am wondering if anyone could give me a rough price If I was to buy the parts seperately?
would this be a big saving?

Before spending a few hours finding the best prices for each seperate part, would I just be better off spending £500 if I am only going to save a few quid?

Stu
Re: kit cost
August 14, 2012 05:56PM
I am in the US, but I can give you a cost estimate. Note that we do not have VAT or anything like that, so costs will be a bit lower.

My total cost for sourcing a Prusa Mendel, including shipping, is just over $600 USD (about £385). That includes everything that is needed to get it to run, including power supply, etc. Also includes linear bearings and high torque motors, and extras like spiral wrap for keeping the wiring clean.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 16, 2012 05:49AM
ill say you can probly save 150-200 quid if u source everything separately. try emaker.com..plenty of good local sellers up there.
August 16, 2012 06:14AM
With a kit you should get technical support and a warranty, both of which have value.

Andy
August 16, 2012 10:04AM
I recommend self sourcing of you have the time to do it. Not because it's much cheaper (though it can be, depending on shipping cost, taxes etc), but because you'll know where to source the individual parts if/when somethings breaks. You'll get to know your RepRap better and don't have to battle with dodgy sellers which there sadly are plenty of.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login