Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What type of machine would this be

Posted by n9jcv 
What type of machine would this be
January 25, 2017 12:09PM
So what if you build a cube frame, like the corexy uses. For z you have a bed that goes up and down. For x you have a single belt and carriage like a prusa i3. For y the x carriage moves back and front with a single belt like an i3. What type of machine is this? Where are some existing designs?

Thanks
B
Re: What type of machine would this be
January 25, 2017 12:17PM
if i'm reading your description right sounds like your describing a folger tech ft5 [folgertech.com]. i believe its still classified as a cartesian machine.
January 25, 2017 01:21PM
Yes like that but i am sure FT did not invent. What style machine is that. And how in speed and quality would that compare to a corexy assuming same builder and design and construction?
January 25, 2017 02:32PM
I can't see how the folgertech is arranged, but you wouldn't normally use a single belt for Y because of the asymmetry. A belt at each end, either with a motor each or preferably a single motor connected via a long drive shaft would be more conventional. Not sure who used that first. Compared to coreXY there is more moving mass because of the X motor on the gantry (but shorter belts and a simpler coordinate system).

I think conventional wisdom would lean towards coreXY being better by most measures.
January 25, 2017 03:40PM
You could implement a Bowden feed to eliminate the x motor in the gantry or use a Titan like extruder with a pancake geared stepper motor. I am thinking to build one of these with the Titan extruder. I feel the corexy elaborate belts are tricky and problematic.

Anyone have designs for these? The reprap machine wiki does not seem to mention them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 11:40PM by n9jcv.
January 26, 2017 01:11PM
You still have a motor on the gantry for the X drive belt. Bowden removes the extruder motor from the X-carriage, opposed to the direct drive method.
I was tempted to get the Folgertech FT-5, because they use 2x motors to drive the Y to compensate the extra Y-gantry mass. Solid design, XY linear guides. easy to build.
The only thing I didn't like about the FT-5 is the melamine, though there's all aluminum upgrades available from 713Maker.com

And yea, it's just known as a Cartesian. Which covers any printer that uses a XYZ coordinate system to position the extruder, unlike Delta and Polar configurations that each require completely different G-code.
There's special cases for box-like bots, like the CoreXY, H-Bot and Cross-Beam (Ultimaker and Xdrive 3d printers) that isolate the drive motors from the moving mass.

IMO, speed and quality have nothing to do with the configuration of the bot. Any bot with solid design, balancing mass, force and stability, will excel in speed, quality and reliability.
January 27, 2017 02:54AM

... unlike Delta and Polar configurations that each require completely different G-code.

They run on the same gcode, but require a different firmware. I'm sure that's what you wanted to say? smiling smiley
January 27, 2017 03:41AM
o_lampe

... unlike Delta and Polar configurations that each require completely different G-code.

They run on the same gcode, but require a different firmware. I'm sure that's what you wanted to say? smiling smiley

Yea thanks grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login