Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using Pronterface???????

Posted by fredted1234 
Using Pronterface???????
September 02, 2012 06:43AM
I have finished putting togeter my reprap and have installed pronterface, skeinforge, and put marlin on the arduino. iv got a heated bed, and a fan for my ramps 1.3 electronics. and mechanical endstops. I have conected the printer up to pronterface, and can move the x,y, z axis only by clicking the home icon.

The problem is i dont understand what most of the buttons on pronterface do? and am not sure how to get the heater, heat bed, thermisters, fan, and extruder going??? I havnt configured these in firmware, ( i presume constraints such as the enstops, distance each axis can travel without crashing, thermisters, heater resisters and fans (pluged into D9 on the ramps) need to be set for it to work.

I know there is a lot of questions there but how do i do all of this stuff?

Thanks
Re: Using Pronterface???????
September 02, 2012 07:08AM
fredted1234
The problem is i don't understand what most of the buttons on Pronterface do?

eye popping smiley It is pretty self explanatory BUT you can take a look at the Makergear Getting Started Guide.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 02, 2012 07:26AM
This error keeps coming up? so obviously im doing somthing wrong

Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
September 02, 2012 07:32AM
It wont let me connect at 115200, this error comes up

¡n|Hnó6Ba8&6H*ˆhP|H.]‹ÈZQHJ>|YˆNP|H^Ð^èŠ}aJán6‡þ

Connecting to the ramp at 250000 seems to connect tho
September 02, 2012 07:50AM
eye rolling smiley Obviously you have to set the baudrate to the same baudrate that is set in the firmware or else it will not work!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 02, 2012 01:18PM
Ok well this error keeps coming up! I don't understand the hot end doesn't heat up. Or the heat bed..

Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
Reply Quote

Has anyone ever got this error?
September 02, 2012 01:44PM
fredted1234 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok well this error keeps coming up! I don't
> understand the hot end doesn't heat up. Or the
> heat bed..
>
> Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and
> use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set
> it before restarting)
> Reply Quote
>
> Has anyone ever got this error?

Yes I have... What usually did it for me was my thermistor was either shorted out or disconnected, triggering Max or Min temp.

Do you the error right away? Is the "Monitor Printer" Box checked... If your temp reads 5or less or ~295 Plus It will trigger the default temp limits in Marlin.

-Nick
September 02, 2012 03:19PM
I agree that the interface isn't as obvious as one might expect. In acquainting students with Pronterface, I've not seen anyone able to turn on the hot end without having it explained first. So the advice to seek out tutorials is good. Once you learn the interface, it's easy to forget how much or little research it took to learn it winking smiley

I've gotten very helpful and congenial advice on the IRC channel for problems like this. The forum's a great place to seek out potential answers from the past, but direct help is nice, and IRC seems a better place to find it, IME.
September 02, 2012 05:39PM
what happend when ou write M999 in the text line under the yellow error message does it give the error again?
September 02, 2012 06:00PM
yes when i connect to the printer the first thing it says is

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.0 RC2
echo: Last Updated: 2012-05-02 | Author: erik
echo: Free Memory: 5609 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Using Default settings:
ok T:482.7 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 @:0
Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)

I think the thermisters are ok, do i have to do something with the firmware to get it working/configured?

Thanks for your help
September 02, 2012 06:15PM
Sounds like either your MAXTEMP is set too low on the firmware (below room temp)

or (like me) you have a dodgy connection on your extruder thermistor
September 02, 2012 07:12PM
> I think the thermisters are ok, do i have to do
> something with the firmware to get it
> working/configured?

You have to make sure the correct thermistor is selected at the top of configuration.h
By default Marlin is set up for a thermocouple.
If the thermistor is working and you have Marlin configured correctly, when you monitor the temperature in pronterface, it should show something close to room temperature.
September 03, 2012 04:41AM
yes im almost sure its the wrong setting in marlin?
Now i just need to figure out how to edit the firmware on the arduino?
I have opened the arduino software but cannot see any way of reading the firmware and editing it?
September 03, 2012 04:56AM
The part of this that is interesting is

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.0 RC2

Are you sure nothing is pressing the reset button on your electronics board?

--

Charles S.
Software Engineer
Prusa Mendel I2, RAMPS 1.4, Marlin 1.0 R2, Pronterface, Slic3r
September 03, 2012 05:00AM
no as far as i can see the reset button is not being pressed, I presume the settings need to be changed in marlin? does anyone know how to do this?

thanks for your help
September 03, 2012 10:49AM
What thermistor/Temp sensor are you using?

-Nick
September 04, 2012 09:50AM
I'm using a 100k thermister. But finally figured out that when you upload a new version of marlin to the arduino it just erases the previouse one. Got the heaters workin, and the thermisters reading temp(the correct one I don't know). Ha
But the next problem I have is getting the motors to move in both directions. Currently they only move away from the endstops.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login