Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adhesive

Posted by ArtApe 
Adhesive
September 16, 2012 04:32PM
Hi all

What is the best adhesive to bond PLA or ABS ?

Can PLA be permanently immersed in fresh water ?

Thanks
Re: Adhesive
September 16, 2012 09:42PM
1. I use loctite plastic epoxy

2. I don't know, but it is biodegradable so i wouldn't think so, but ABS might.

-Nick
September 16, 2012 10:51PM
I'm not sure what the "best" is, but I was impressed by the ability of acetone to bond two pieces of ABS. Weld might be a better word for it.

As for PLA, I haven't a clue for either question
September 17, 2012 02:51PM
Thanks for the input chaps

I will try what you suggested
September 17, 2012 03:51PM
ArtApe, for what it's worth, since a reasonable number of people who print with PLA have had good success using dilute PVA (aka "Elmer's glue" in the US) to afix PLA prints to the platen, perhaps a water-proof version like Titebond III might be applicable to PLA?

(dunno if available in UK, but Titebond is a modified PVA - or at least similar to PVA-- used for wood and has good properties around moisture once cured)
September 18, 2012 01:07PM
Hi Xiando

Thanks for your suggestion, Titebond is available in the UK.

I am also thinking of coating the finished elements in product called plasti-dip, has anyone used this product with PLA?
September 18, 2012 01:42PM
one small word of warning. I was not for a moment suggesting use as a primary adhesive wash for the print operation itself. As I noted, once dry, it's very close to water proof, so I would not recommend it for that purpose. Was only suggesting it *might be good for gluing two PLA printed objects together (although I'll leave the experiment up to those who print in PLA)
September 18, 2012 02:23PM
If by "bond", you mean bond or glue ABS to itself or another substrate (as opposed to a treatment on the hot bed prior to printing), then my vote is for a product called "Plaster Welder". I buy it at an auto parts store. Two components in a common dual chamber syringe....so a 1:1 mix of the two components (mixed on an external mixing surface or container). Is *not* an epoxy (as far as I know)....some sort of acyrilic base. Cures in about twenty minutes to hard to the touch, full strength some time later. It adheres to all sorts of substrates. Has a strong, almost floral, odor before cure. Waterproof. It is my go-to adhesive for about 80% of shop jobs.
Attachments:
open | download - plastic.jpg (27.1 KB)
September 20, 2012 03:19PM
Thanks mars, I could not locate the product you suggested, I am in the UK, but have been reminded of abs adhesive as used by plumbers to join abs pipes and fittings, has anyone tryed this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login