Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.9.2 woes

Posted by gsport 
Slic3r 0.9.2 woes
September 19, 2012 08:01PM
Hi,

Been printing away for a while now with Slic3r 0.7.0 and decided to try a more recent version.... then my problems started.

With Pronterface (which I downloaded in March this year, not sure how to check the version) anything sliced in the new version of Slic3r doesnt seem to load properly, it stalls at estimating print time and doesn't spew up the multiple lines of layer time calculations or the grip preview of the print that it used to. If I try to print it just keeps telling me the temps as though it is waiting to hit the correct ones but never starts printing.

So I went back to using 0.7.0, but after a couple of succesful slices this has started doing something weird (after I accidentally tried to install a configuration written by 0.9.2) where it says there are no layers and to check the STL...

STL is generated by Solidworks 2012 and seems fine to me..

Any ideas?
Re: Slic3r 0.9.2 woes
September 19, 2012 10:15PM
0.9.2 has some issues, as does 0.9.1. AFAIK, the last one that's basically stable is 0.8.4, although there are likely ore experienced users who will chime in with the "correct" answer.
September 20, 2012 01:56AM
9.2 does not lift the first layer to the correct height.

9.1 crashes when you delete objects from the platter.

It's... Depressing.

I understand that slic3r is essentially Pre-alpha or early beta... But it bums me out to see "Pre-compiled Releases" with randomly broken parts that worked fine in a previous release.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 01:57AM by Idolcrasher.
September 21, 2012 04:33PM
Only problem I have encountered in 0.9.1 is the crash when deleting objects one by one, and that's easy to work around (just don't do that). In every other respect it's working really well and producing better quality objects than 0.7 or 0.8 versions ever did.
September 21, 2012 06:30PM
I finally managed to print the part but it wasn't what I had intended. I had to go back to an earlier blockier version and do a fraction of the amount of rounding off of corners etc that I had done on the new version that couldn't be sliced. Once I had this new model it could be sliced successfully on all the versions of Slic3r I now have... very strange.

I did wonder if it was because the newer model had been modified multiple times (parametrically) anyone else had experience of models that seem to fail with slicing under these circumstances?

Part 3 sliced fine

Ayup 2.2 was the problem.

There are STLs and jpegs in here if anyone wants to have a look or try slicing to see if you can figure out why it wouldnt do Ayup2.2

Files

Thanks

George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login