Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting an Epson printer

Posted by DGM 
DGM
Converting an Epson printer
September 30, 2012 08:06AM
I want to convert an Epson printer to work like a RepRap, with the printhead moving while the paper lies flat and still. Before I start such a project from scratch I thought I'd ask if anyone has already done work on this. I know Epsons have been converted to print PCBs before, so I'm hoping this has already been covered as well.

Anybody know of anything?
Re: Converting an Epson printer
September 30, 2012 08:23AM
No Z height?
September 30, 2012 08:44AM
Yeah, without a Z axis you only have 2d not 3d which is what you are after.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
DGM
September 30, 2012 11:37AM
I guess I should have explained my goal better, but 2D actually IS what I'm after. I want to print ink on paper, as per a normal printer. The problem is that I'm printing artwork on labels and some of the images have to be precisely placed in order to look right, but the paper won't feed straight enough. Even being a millimeter off is too much for some images.

The point is simply to have the paper lie still and have the printhead move instead, so I can put the ink exactly where I want it.
September 30, 2012 11:50AM
Oh, you want to do a thin flat 2d for logos and stuff but I am unsure why with ink since that is what the printer already does. Now a 2d RepRap has its place too.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
September 30, 2012 12:44PM
I converted an epson to do pcb's, it used a tray, but it sounds like you want a flat bed printer, google should find some info, or duckduckgo if you prefer some privacy.

Random Precision
VDX
October 01, 2012 04:34AM
... there are some conversions in the web: [open3dp.me.washington.edu]

Search with "DIY 3D ink-jet printer powder" for an overview ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 01, 2012 06:22AM
Oh, I like that VDX. One thing my family despises about the modern printers is that they have timing chips in the ink cartridges so even if you let them sit they will eventually time out and say you are empty but can have a full tank which means throwing out perfectly good ink cartridges and paying more.

I gotta fully read that later to see if it, being open source, goes around that modern printer tactic.

_______
VDX
October 01, 2012 06:52AM
... I have Matt Gilliland's book, where he shows hacks and programming for a special HP-cartridge, that is 'unchipped' and is available from different sources winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 01, 2012 09:31AM
Yeah, I had heard of these unchipped and even bought some off of Ebay but they still reported no ink yet were hardly used (once or twice). We use Canon products in this house though.

_______
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login