Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extrusion issue - Infill following retract move

Posted by hibijibi 
Extrusion issue - Infill following retract move
November 03, 2012 10:45PM
I am encountering an issue across all layer heights after moving to slicer 0.9.3 - Extrusion immediately following a retraction move is awful and takes several seconds to return to normality. My extrusion width, flow rate, temp, and steps are all correct for perimeters and for infill not following retraction. It is really infill that is most affected because of the reduced e steps. Changing from .4 to .5 infill amount helped the issue leading me to believe it is e retraction is not equal it the e (anti-)retraction?

Has anyone encountered difficulty with infill following retraction and know a solution?

I have increased infill - helps doesn't fix
I have reduced retraction acceleration - doesn't fix or affect one way or the other
I experience this issue only after switching to slicer 0.9.3 and in previous slicer versions defeated the problem by making retraction never step upwards just move at current layer height <---- May be biggest clue.
Re: Extrusion issue - Infill following retract move
November 04, 2012 12:20AM
I had a similar issue with and I found a setting in slic3r for the minimum size move that will trigger a retraction. I set the size to 10mm (it had been set at 2mm) which is larger than most of the infill moves but not larger than the typical jog moves and that greatly improved the situation.

I would like to see a separate switch in slic3r to turn off retraction altogether during infill and still leave it active on perimeters. Allesandro?
November 04, 2012 01:55AM
If your retract and restart are not equal and you're sure that you have the parameters set correctly in slic3r (extra length on restart=0), then it's possible that your retract/restart speed is too fast.
November 04, 2012 09:04AM
Awful in what way?
November 05, 2012 10:43AM
Awful in that it produces too little plastic. Should have mentioned I'm printing ABS with an over-sized extrusion motor so torque is not the issue.

There is an option in slicer 0.9.3 that allows for no retraction during infill under the infill selection "Only Retract when crossing perimeters" but it will still retract in order to jump to a different infill area in order to not cross area it has already filled.

Where is the extra length after restart option? I did not notice that option in slicer but that will likely fix my problem. I'll try it as soon as I get home from work.
November 05, 2012 10:45AM
This is some newbtastic stuff right here. There it is, adjustments right there in slicer under printer settings. Yeah, it's set to 3 mm retract which turns out to be just too much. Another problem down, thanks for helping me work through it.
November 05, 2012 11:37AM
Yes, 3 mm is too much. Set the retract to around 1 mm and extra length on restart to 0 mm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login