Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMBo with LCD and click encoder?

Posted by crispy1 
RAMBo with LCD and click encoder?
November 06, 2012 11:08AM
Has anyone wired a RAMBo board up with a 2 line LCD and a click encoder? I haven't found any documentation on if this is possible, and if it is, where everything would plug into.
Re: RAMBo with LCD and click encoder?
November 07, 2012 08:41AM
I have been wanting to do this too but I don't think many people are using RAMBo yet so this has not been tried. I asked the guy who sells the PanelMAX kits on ebay but he wasn't willing to help. I think it will connect to the ext2 pins on RAMBo but don't know which ones. I'm not an Arduino expert so firmware modifications/RAMBo pins from the wiki are somewhat cryptic. Anyone willing to help here?
November 07, 2012 05:46PM
I'm assuming RAMbo is the RAMPS spinoff from Ultimachine? I haven't been keeping up, but if this is the case, you can look at two alternatives that I am familiar with.

The first is the Adafruit RGB LCD Shield. It does not have a click rotary encoder, but it does have five buttons, and an LCD display with 2x16 characters. It uses the i2c protocol for all of its communications, so only +5, GND, SDA, and SCL are needed to get it going.

The second is CTRLpanel (name subject to change) from Panucatt.com. It's not yet available, but very very soon. It is Adafruit compatible, plus a rotary encoder with five click positions (up, down, left, right, center, CCW, CW), and SD-Card reader, using the the SPI bus.

The latest repetier firmware has built-in support for both of these. Marlin also has support, thanks to Lincomatic (he also did the early work on repetier support). I don't know if the changes have made it into the main branch of Marlin yet.
November 07, 2012 09:12PM
jcabrer, finding the display+click encoder is a non-issue. Reprapdiscount sells them for a very good price. The issue is where does one hook it up, since all the pins have moved around and there is no documentation on where the equivalent pins on RAMBo are.

I suspect that a sufficiently knowledgeable person could figure this out by looking at the pins.h file and work backwards to figure out the equivalent pins. Currently I lack the knowledge to do this.
November 24, 2012 09:04PM
I have the reprap discount board working with rambo. I'm using the SPI and exension2 ports. It requires firmware and arduino environment modifications to make work. Ping me on IRC and I can get you the details. At some point I'll write it up.
November 26, 2012 11:46AM
Hey guys, os1r1s and I plotted and schemed a wiki page for the Rambo and LCD mods.

[reprap.org]

Still needs more work, and thorough testing, but gotta start somewhere right?

Fill in the blanks if you see any

John "Oly"
SeeMeCNC.com
November 29, 2012 01:37AM
I've now updated Marlin to have a cleaner LCD display. It gives realtime x/y/z feedback as well as using icons rather than text to signify a sd card was inserted or not. I'd like your feedback before submitting it for inclusion in the main branch.

The link is Marlin LCD Display.
December 13, 2012 01:12PM
Nice work os1r1s and John! This is exactly what I was hoping someone would do.

John, when will SeeMeCNC be offering the reprap discount lcd with the RAMBo adapter? I'll be the first customer

Doug
December 13, 2012 04:40PM
I love this proposed change to the LCD display.
December 16, 2012 09:25AM
Doug, we have 30 or so LCDs in stock, and have a huge order of 150 coming to keep us in stock over the chinese new years. The rambo adapter is being finished up by johnnyr (ultimachine) and soon as theyre available, well have some

Thanks!
December 16, 2012 11:44AM
I have a RAMBo board as well, I would love to add this to my set up. I'll keep an eye out for the adapter/LCD combo smiling smiley
December 16, 2012 11:53AM
In case anyone is interested, there is a Kickstarter campaign for the panel I mentioned earlier.

[kck.st]
February 28, 2013 11:24PM
has anyone wired the rambo via the I2C connections, I would like to use my viki lcd with it.

the rambo has I2C pins, would it just be plug in play or do I need to figure something out in firmware.
firmware for marlin looks like it arleady has the setup for it in the wire.h. I'm new to arduino so i'm not sure.

i know its plug and play for arduino ramps, since rambo is arduino also it should work also?

just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 11:26PM by cambo3d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login