Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How long is the filament on a spool?

Posted by peterrash 
How long is the filament on a spool?
November 06, 2012 09:13PM
When loading a gcode file into Pronterface, it gives an estimated length of filament used. However, filament is sold by weight. Does anyone know how much filament is on, for example, a 5lb spool of 1.75mm PLA?

It would be nice to know, for example, if I have used (X) amount of filament from a spool, then I have (Total - X) left on the spool, and so I could immediately know if I had enough remaining to complete an object.

Obviously, I could measure off a few meters of filament and weigh it, but I thought that someone might have already figured it out.

Also, how accurate is the length given in Pronterface? I assume it should be exact, but is it?

Thanks.
Re: How long is the filament on a spool?
November 07, 2012 04:26AM
The faberdashery site says for 1.75mm PLA "100 meters is about 300g or 241cc".

Therefore 100 meters = 0.661387lb.

Therefore 755 meters = 5lb.

Andy
November 07, 2012 10:03AM
Skeinforge can output a report saying exactly how many grams are extruded in the print. You can even punch in your cost of material and it will calculate how much it will cost in plastic.
November 07, 2012 03:18PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I use Slic3r, so the Skienforge option doesn't help, But if I use 750 meters as a guide, I shouldn't ever run out.

Does anyone know how accurate the Pronterface length estimate is?
November 07, 2012 03:29PM

Does anyone know how accurate the Pronterface length estimate is?

I think it is very close. If your e-steps/mm is off, this will of course introduce error. But I never bothered to measure its accuracy down to the last centimeter.
November 07, 2012 03:41PM
Slic3r also writes the length and volume of filament needed as a comment on the last line of the G-Code file. Pronterface independently reports a very similar value (Slic3r's 3317.5 vs. Pronterface's 3316.48 mm on a thing I'm printing right now).

Pronterface's initial time estimate is pretty bogus, though. I wonder how it's calculated...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login