Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Poor print quality on one side???

Posted by fredted1234 
Poor print quality on one side???
November 13, 2012 04:47AM
I completed my Prusa and am know trying to fine tune it, the biggest problem i have is when i print is that one side of my print come out in poor quality while the other side comes out perfect? this will happen repeatedly on the same side as you can see in the pictures. one side looks fine and the other has sagging parts that stick out. Does anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?
Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - Photo 13-11-2012 09 00 29 copy.jpg (535.7 KB)
open | download - Photo 13-11-2012 09 00 21 copy.jpg (421.3 KB)
Re: Poor print quality on one side???
November 13, 2012 05:09AM
Hi,

What settings do you use when printing, layer height, nozzle size and others? From your pictures it seems to me that you have little adhesion between the layers, try the calculator here: [calculator.josefprusa.cz]
You donĀ“t happen to have a cooling fan directed at the "good" side of your prints?

Prusa with cast PU parts, RAMPS 1.3, Wades extruder, J-Head hot end
November 13, 2012 05:15AM
layer height is 0.4, and nozzle is 0.4mm, yes i have a fan directed at the good side, but i did try a fan at the bad side aswel and i dont think it made any difference? im using slic3r. im not to sure about some of the figures in the calculater or where to put them in slic3r
Although i have just noticed that i should be printing at 0.25 layer height.
thanks for your help
November 13, 2012 06:16AM
are you sure z axis is calibrated correctly? it looks a lot more than 0.4mm, going above nozzle diameter in height is a sure way of having print problems.
November 13, 2012 10:39AM
Drop down to a .35 or .3 mm layer height. I'm running a .25 nozzle and see a world of difference between a .25 and .2 layer. My 'ideal' layer height is .15 mm with my nozzle.

While you can print at a layer height of your nozzle, layer to layer adhesion will be weak, and blobs and other print problems are unavoidable.
November 13, 2012 12:09PM
Hi thanks a million for the help adjusting the layer height to 0.3 has gotten rid of the problem.
November 16, 2012 12:57PM
Having another problem, seems to be one thing after another! ha the prints keep failing and coming off the heated bed. The printer warms up to the right temperature fine at the start. the bed temp target for the extruder is shown at the right temp.
however the bed temp target is not shown from the start, the orange target line doesnt show at all?
however the bed does show that its at the right temperature... until a few lines before the end... the bed seems to turn off completly, i cant get it going again. and the print fails and breaks off the bed????...

Has anyone had any experience of this?
cheers
November 16, 2012 01:02PM
have also just noticed when i set the target for the bed temp maually it does not heat up? it seems to be on and off. it was working fine??
so its strange
November 16, 2012 01:11PM
i have also just noticed that the resettable fuse is very very hot, i dont know if this is normal?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login