Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tips for building a Large printer

Posted by ahbtsang 
Tips for building a Large printer
November 16, 2012 07:00AM
Hi all,

To start, I built myself a standard Prusa 1/2 year ago and I loved it, it's been working like a champ ever since. Now I am planning to build a larger printer based on the fact that I print architectural models and the height that Prusa can achieve does not satisfy my need. also I would like to design my own furniture and print objects much larger (well.. not as big as a table!)

I am planning to build one that can print around 300mm x 300mm x 300mm model, here are a few questions hope all experts here can help...

1. For the frame, should I use the Prusa setup or the Darwin setup?
2. Should the bed only moves in Z axis and use a standard CNC table setting for the X & Y axes?
3. Is using extruded aluminium, linear tracks and GT2 belts and ball screws the most sensible option to get high precision? Or am I just splashing money unnecessarily?
4. Is it right to use Bowden tube instead?
5. What is the best way to ensure the print bed is completely flat? I noticed that even glass can bend to some degree, so if the bed is 300mm x 300mm I think it is very difficult to calibrate the z axis.

also.. can you suggest and practical issues with printer at this size? eg.. file too heavy for the software to handle?.. etc..

many thanks
Adrian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login