Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remove heater block thermistor

Posted by ahbtsang 
Remove heater block thermistor
November 21, 2012 03:16PM
What would be the best way to remove the thermistor which is stuck inside the brass heater block? The 2 connectors from the thermistor both came off and it is impossible to weld them back because they are just too small...
Re: Remove heater block thermistor
November 21, 2012 04:01PM
the thermistor should be replaced. solder will just melt, and copper wire will oxidize and only give you a single reliable run.
November 21, 2012 04:15PM
Thanks, that means I need to replace the block (brass block + resistor + thermistor)?

Right now, both the thermistor legs came off and leaving just the glass bead inside the brass block with a bit of fire cement. I am thinking whether it is possible to clear it out, otherwise I would just buy a thermistor and drill a hole next to it.smiling smiley
November 21, 2012 06:18PM
You can just drill the thermistor out, and then you get to keep the brass block and resistor. Drilling another hole might be just as easy. I use exhaust putty to hold my thermistor in place, and it has the advantage that you can blob it all around the cables for a little strain relief.
November 21, 2012 06:55PM
thanks. does exhaust putty conduct electricity? Is there anywhere I can just get a tiny amount? or what other materials will be good for this purpose?
November 21, 2012 07:08PM
High temperature silicone sealant works well too. "Silcoset 158" is what I use. It's non-conductive so there's no risk of shorting the leads to the block.
November 22, 2012 04:51AM
no the exhaust putty does not conduct electricity. it is boron silicate. it is a high temp glass, it is the same thing used for rope glue as well, just the exhaust repair kits are cheap and include an ample supply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 04:52AM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login