Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hotend

Posted by rogerw 
hotend
November 25, 2012 06:13PM
hi all,
can someone explain to me how the hot end works. what it looks like under all the kapton tape.
ta,
roger.

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
Re: hotend
November 25, 2012 06:52PM
Which hot end? There are many designs. They all basically work by heating up to the melting point of your material and forcing the feedstock through under pressure.
November 25, 2012 07:08PM
twitchy, not sure what sort i have - have sent email to find out.
is the hotend just a piece of steel with a hole drilled down the middle or is hollow instead. is it a thermister that does all the heating up work - is that just wrapped around the steel bit or does it go inside somehow.
and i suppose there must ne some sort of temperature probe as well.
does any body have a cut away drawing of one.
roger
what are the names of some of the designs - may be able to look for the names

Prusa 'Explorer' (3dStuffMaker), GEN6, J-head Mk III-B, Bowden Extruder, Marlin 1.0.0 RC2, Repitier-Host V0.84 and Slic3r 0.9.8, PLA. Live at Victoria, Australia.
November 25, 2012 07:17PM
My printer uses a J head. A number of hot end designs are described here.
November 25, 2012 07:36PM
thanks twitchy thats great (i can never find anything from the reprap mainpage).
so looks like the brass end screws into the PEEK holder. then some PTFE tube goes up the middle. the filament slides inside the PFTE tube.
the thermistor goes in the very end of the brass bit. this (on mine) is then all covered in kapton tape.
mine also seems to have the heat sink.
roger

November 26, 2012 11:11PM
Roger,

The one your machine is J-head Mk III-B.
November 26, 2012 11:33PM
ta 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login