Build time
December 01, 2012 04:13PM
Hi i been thinking about wanting to buy a Reprapro Huxley.

But i just wanna ask, how long shall i expect to be building it? i mean is it hours, days? I can solder.
And there are complete instructions right?
Re: Build time
December 01, 2012 07:01PM
It took me one day to build my prusa, probably about 6 or 7 hours start to finish. I was printing the same day.
December 01, 2012 11:21PM
It took me and a friend at least 3 days working 5-6 hours to figure it out. Not sure why it took so long, we kinda hit a wall with the electronics and software early.

Now that I know how to do it I think it would have taken 2 hours or less.
December 01, 2012 11:31PM
I did my first build over 3 weekends, but I wasn't exactly working on it full time.
None of it's particularly complicated, but you can have issues at a lot of levels, mechanical, electrical or software.
You will likely run into issues at somepoint in the build, based on the posts here I'd say most people seem to have most issues with the firmware.
December 02, 2012 07:35AM
ok Thanks! when you say issues , what kind of issues? missing parts ?
December 02, 2012 11:49AM
There are just a lot of parts, and people seem to expect everything to just work, generally something won't just work, it's easy to construct things misaligned, misfire something, configure the firmware incorrectly.
Unfortunately when you get done it's not always clear exactly what is causing the problem, since often the problems can be anyone of mechanical, electrical or software.
People here will help you when you get that far, but it's worth scanning the various forums to see the sort of problems people have.
December 02, 2012 04:03PM
ok thanksgrinning smiley do i need any kind of programming skills? becuse i dont have
December 02, 2012 05:38PM
Not programming though you will need to know how to edit scripts and upload firmware. For a DIY Reprap you'll need some computer skills. There will likely be edits to your firmware settings or depending on your package and configuration you may need to install the firmware. There are some complete electronics packages but it's likely (pretty much guaranteed) you'll have to tweak some firmware settings when you commission the machine. You'll need to employ some maker/tinker/hacker skills. winking smiley

Look at all the build info and documentation you can find not only in the wiki here but also on several of the vendors that sell kits. You may wish to go that route. Depending on the vendor you may get some support. You'll need basic mechanical, electronics and troubleshooting skills.
December 03, 2012 12:25PM
Thanks for all your answers, i just purchased a RepRapProHuxleygrinning smiley wish me good luck!grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login