Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

You can print pulleys from Mcmaster/SDPSI without paying for software - and results

Posted by Simba 
You can print pulleys from Mcmaster/SDPSI without paying for software - and results
December 15, 2012 12:32PM
Copied from my site here for anyone who may need it:
Or this should be called… “How to convert proprietary 3D cad data into undamanged STL files without paying through the nose for expensive software.”

• Step one: Goto SDPSI (as an example) and click on a L timing pulley.
  • Click on STC parts link and “download 3D models”.
  • On new tab, select file formal “step, .stp”
  • Let the internal website software convert the file for you (takes 30 seconds) and click download
  • Open the downloaded zip file containing a stp file, such as “a_6a_4-10df05016.stp”
  • Open freecad and open the step file
  • On the lefthand side, click the part name under “unnamed”
  • Under the help menu there is a submenu selection tool. Select “Mesh Design” and the top menu will change to include “Meshes.”
  • Select mesh > create mesh from geometry, and leave the value at 0.1 on the next screen. Hit enter.
  • Now on the left hand side, click “mesh”
  • On the meshes menu, select export mesh. Select “Binary STL.”
  • You can now process this with Slicer, Tinkercad, Sketchup (with import library included on this site).
  • Print free parts!!

Unfortunately, with my silly 1 mm nozzle, I could only get the XL belt around the pulley about 7 teeth before it mis aligns. A .35mm or .5mm nozzle could surely do this.

More at
[armanicreations.com]
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-12-15 03.17.07.jpg (543.7 KB)
Re: You can print pulleys from Mcmaster/SDPSI without paying for software - and results
December 15, 2012 12:50PM
You need to download and install FreeCAD of course http://free-cad.sourceforge.net/

Fingers crossed there should hopefully be a new version of FreeCAD available before the end of the year.
Re: You can print pulleys from Mcmaster/SDPSI without paying for software - and results
December 15, 2012 05:51PM
Note that it is unlikely the cad models have correct tooth profiles for the proprietary geometries like gt2, htd and other curvilinear belts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login