Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Guy With Some Questions...

Posted by carpenma 
New Guy With Some Questions...
October 01, 2008 04:10PM
Hi, I just discovered the Reprap about a week ago, and I think it is the most awesome piece of equipment I've ever seen! I really want to start building one, but I have a few questions first:

1. Is it possible, and how hard would it be to adjust the Reprap to print items taller than the 3 inches it can go now? Not a big difference, maybe two inches.

2. Would you suggest that I build a Repstrap machine or what to get my printed parts?

finally,

3. If there is anyone in the U.S that hasn't completed their "build two kits of parts for other people with your reprap" can you please contact me?: carpenma@wowway.com

Thanks a lot guys!

-Matt
Re: New Guy With Some Questions...
October 01, 2008 05:29PM
1. It should be possible. You'd need to increase the lengths of the 4 upright rods, the 8 diagonals and the threaded Z rods. I think that's it. Might need to adjust some of the wire lengths too.

2. Depends on your work vs money ledger. If you don't mind extra work to save money, go with a repstrap. If you'd prefer to spend money to avoid extra work, buy a kit from BitsFromBytes.

3. I doubt there's anyone who's made two sets of parts yet. Most of us are still at the "trying to get a couple of parts to print out" stage.
October 01, 2008 05:34PM
Hi Matt!

I'm almost as new as you! I started gathering parts 3 weeks ago and building 1 week ago.

I personally have access to a 3d printing machine, so I'm starting from a Darwin.
Unless you have similar access, I would suggest that you start from a BitsFromBytes or Ponoko kit.

It's down to personal taste really: if you are the kind of hard-core tech guy who likes to dive head in then go for a RepStrap! seems like fun!

But i'm the kind of guy who looks at the RepRap project and sees alot of difficulties even on the "easy" way so I go for kits.

I'll tell you one thing for sure: you learn alot less the way i'm doing things. that's the big downside.

Regarding the 2 more inches: I don't think that's a real problem. no plastic parts should change if I recall the design correctly. just the length of some rods.
you might have to stiffen it up a bit, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Regarding 3: I'm not in the us, but i'd be happy to send the first batch along your way, if you are willing to wait a month or two :/

GL!
-Leav
October 01, 2008 05:39PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. I'm going to try to find the prices for parts for a Repstrap. If it's more than I'm willing to pay, than I might take you up on that offer. I would pay for shipping. Where are you from?

-Matt
October 01, 2008 06:17PM
Israel smiling smiley
October 01, 2008 06:51PM
Sweet, that's gonna cost alot... how much do each of those pieces weigh?

-Matt
October 02, 2008 03:35PM
carpenma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sweet, that's gonna cost alot... how much do each
> of those pieces weigh?
>
> -Matt

Each piece? I have no idea. For the total set of pieces I have read that a full set of printed parts weighs around 4 to 5 kg. Roughly 10 pounds.
Noz
October 05, 2008 10:12AM
When you talk about reprap or repstrap it might be easer to see what you want and what the current reprap can offer.

Also its good to look into cartesian robots to get an idea how everything works , then come back and look at the reprap's plans. you might find the mechanical parts can be done easer for you (like im using angleiron and i think ive seen someone using piping) but you can still use the same motors and electronics if you wish.

if your great with wood or something then you could possibly make a better frame with your skills.

sorry this is a bit late i hope this can help you make a more informed decisoin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 07:09AM by SebastienBailard.
October 05, 2008 10:35AM
Ya, thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login