Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any hints to improve Prusa's stability/reliability?

Posted by fsamir 
Any hints to improve Prusa's stability/reliability?
January 11, 2013 08:01PM
Hi repraprs,

I finally got to a point where I can print perfectly perfectly (for a Prusa), detect and fix problems based on failed printings.

However, I am having to fix these issues very often, more or less after 3 or 4 prints I have to stop and fix something. To name a few problems:
Jamming;
Kapton tape breaking apart;
Bed levelling;
Y carriage difficult to move after small adjustments on the level;
Z-endstop moving slightly;

Any advice will be welcome.
ps. It is a Makergear Prusa

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
Re: Any hints to improve Prusa's stability/reliability?
January 11, 2013 09:02PM
Quality of feedstock. Wrong diameter clogs my extruder; I was rather upset to have some feedstock over 3mm in diameter. Have close to 3mm feedstock or 1.75mm feedstock but not at or over size. Switch from kapton tape to blue tape. blue tape works even on heated beds and sticks to both pla, and abs, not as well as kapton for abs, but start prints slower with first layer and it will stick ok blue tape goes alot further than kapton tape. Also blue tape expands/contracts less than kapton (why kapton can wrinkle when cooled down sometimes)

With bed leveling, use slicer, set first layer to print out at 0.39mm. Most of the time this will be high enough to compensate for variations in height. Then the next layers can be at 0.2, or 0.15 z resolution. If using skein forge, offset 1st Z layer and increase first laye4r flow rate % to compensate for the needed flow rate to do the same thing.

z end stop moving slightly, easy add a zip tie to the bottom of the z end stop holder on the smooth rod. Pull it tight, it should have enough friction to keep in place and to keep the z homing level and strait.

Hope this helps somewhat. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 09:03PM by jamesdanielv.
January 11, 2013 09:28PM
> Jamming;

1. Be sure to use Heat Sink Compound on your hot end resistor and thermistor, to get the best heat transfer and measurement possible.
2. Buy you filament from a reputable source that has consistent quality.
3. If using PLA, switch to ABS.
4. If you don't have glass on your bed, GET IT!

> Kapton tape breaking apart;
1. If you use kapton on your build platform because you don't have a heated bed, then you are using PLA anyway.
2. Get a heated bed, and put some glass on it.

> Bed levelling;
1. I have a post somewhere here on leveling your bed. It's probably a couple of years old now. Look it up.
2. Get rid of the springs on your bed.

> Y carriage difficult to move after small
> adjustments on the level;

> Z-endstop moving slightly;
Print new/better andstops holders, and get some solid flags.
>
>
> Any advice will be welcome.
> ps. It is a Makergear Prusa

You are probably already aware of many weak points in your set up, and are subconsciously avoiding them. Take the time to address things like nuts that come loose all the time, bad filament, cheap hot end, etc. You will see all your problems almost disappear.
January 11, 2013 10:06PM
Thanks guys, both your answers are gold to me.

jcabrer, I've read my mind on the last statement. smiling smiley

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login