Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Re: 1,75mm ?
January 12, 2013 01:59PM
Why not ?
January 12, 2013 02:24PM
If it's just the extruder there is a good chance you will get away with it, but it's possible the filament will buckle and jam in the extra space.
If you're including the Hotend then it won't work, you need a Hotend designed for the filament size.
January 12, 2013 02:57PM
If I insert an lining inside the hotend to fill up the space?
It worth to test >grinning smiley< !

/Bertil
January 12, 2013 04:53PM
The insert would have to be able to resist the high pressure in the extruder without a gap opening up at the bottom end.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 12, 2013 05:06PM
Nophead: I have wondered about this aspect of hotend designs. If the gap is inside the hotend (ie if the insert slid a significant way into the heat block) so that it was lower than the glass transition area, would this cause a problem? I can see how if a gap forms where the insulator meets the hotend it could bulge and jam, but if it is all molten what would be the problem? My hotends have a very thin ptfe liner that slides down the barrel into the heat block and I'm sure there would be a bit of a gap, but because it is all liquid down that far it doesn't seem to cause a problem.
January 12, 2013 08:40PM
If it goes well into the heat block you might get away with it but you don't with typical extruders like J-head. Also I think it would still reduce the performance because PTFE is a good insulator, so the plastic probably doesn't melt fully until it meets the metal, especially if it is being fed quickly.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 13, 2013 04:27AM
Berra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is possible to use 1,75mm filament to 3mm extruder
> ?confused smiley
>
> /Bertil

If you have a hot end designed for 1.75 filament then it's definitely possible to print with 1.75 mm filament using a Wade's extruder designed for 3 mm filament. I know because I've done it. But I wouldn't recommend it.

At least with my setup (maker gear 1.75 mm hot end), the filament tended to buckle between the extruder and the hot end. I had to tear apart the extruder at least four times to clear jams before I was able to successfully print a new extruder designed for 1.75 mm filament. I definitely should have thought things through a bit more before switching.

Anyway, it's possible. But it's also a really bad idea.
January 13, 2013 05:23AM
Ok, I ordered 1.75mm hotend with extruder now! thumbs up

/Bertil
January 20, 2013 09:07PM
Question: The way I designed my hot end, the filament does not melt until it is at the nozzle tip exit area.
I have lined the barrell with ptfe all the way to the nozzle exit hole, there is very little room in the nozzle for any "pocket of molten abs".
The amount of abs I pull from the nozzle if I clean it, might be the size of half a pencil eraser if not smaller.
From the way I read nophead's comments, this would be the reason I cannot run the machine at high speeds?
I can run at about 10mm a second and have trouble with retraction....I cannot achive any faster speeds or the filament chews at the hobbed bolt and stops feeding. (I do not get jams)
January 20, 2013 09:43PM
I also cannot use a nozzle opening smaller than .9 mm or the same thing happens, ( filament chews and stops feeding )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login