Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do different colors of ABS act differently?

Posted by tmorris9 
Do different colors of ABS act differently?
January 12, 2013 08:46PM
I use 3mm ABS and I seem to always have flow issues with purple and get the best overall results with natural. I understand the natural thing since there are no pigments mixed in but I am wondering if it's a coincidence or not that I have more issues with purple than any other color.

Here is what happens, I normally infill at around 110mm/s but with purple loaded the nozzle seems to run dry at that speed but works fine with other colors. Lots of time a print looks like it's working fine so I leave it only to come back and find the machine still going but the hot end it 1" above the last print.

My machine has a Buda type hot end and I print at 240c.

I use Repetier host and just now stopped the issue thanks to it's speed multiplier slider, I turned it down to 85% and it's printing smoothly again.

So is it the color? The particular batch? or just bad luck that it acts up on purple?

Thanks!
Re: Do different colors of ABS act differently?
January 12, 2013 11:26PM
ABS recipes can vary in the amount of styrene, acrylonitrile, and butadiene. The percentages can affect melting point, rigidity, hardness, etc. Adding color can affect the recipe in unexpected ways, given that different colors must by nescecity, use various chemical components to acheive the right shade.

Given all that, it should come as no surprise that results can vary from one color to the next, or one vendor to the next.

If you are going to be trying lots of color, it would be a good idea to keep a log book with settings, and results.
Re: Do different colors of ABS act differently?
January 13, 2013 04:45AM
Yes pigments seem to increase the viscosity, so tend to need a higher temperature to get the same results as natural. Some reduce how well it sticks to the bed.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login