Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electronics for dual extruders?

Posted by _brant 
Electronics for dual extruders?
January 30, 2013 04:07PM
I currently have a Linear Prusa V2 using a Printrboard. I'd like to build a machine with two extruders. What electronics do people use to do this?

Thanks.
Re: Electronics for dual extruders?
January 30, 2013 04:12PM
ramps
January 30, 2013 04:19PM
i think the rambo board dose 2 extruders too. http://ultimachine.com/rambo

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2013 04:35PM
The maker of the Rumba board says it can do triple extruders. not sure what firmware supports that. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

here

hope so, because I'm in for 2 of the Rumba boards.

Roy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 04:36PM by roygpa.
January 30, 2013 04:35PM
Since one would only be using one extruder at a time, I'm wondering if one couldn't run 2 (or more) extruders from the same driver by switching the current on or off with a mosfet on the other end of the motors. Would be very simply done with a couple of mosfets on unipolar steppers.
January 30, 2013 04:36PM
RAMPS but not 1.2 or older. Also Azteeg X3 can do it since it's RAMPS 1.4 compatible.
January 30, 2013 05:37PM
Azteeg X3, which we use with our RPM Printer/Mill. We have a bunch on order but they can be purchased direct from [www.panucatt.com] .

Chelsea - QU-BD
January 30, 2013 09:49PM
RAMPS 1.4 would be my suggestion because many people including myself have destroyed the pololu stepper drivers and the RAMBo board is the same price but they cant easily be replaced. With the RAMPS 1.4 it's plug and play. I have destroyed 2 of the pololu stepper driver boards at this point one because I was moving the x axis on my prusa back and forth really fast to wear in some PLA bushings and the other from overheating. I'm currently setting my printer up for dual extrusion and have the marlin configured and second extruder connected just have to build another hotend and bolt it together to make it work.
I have no experience with the Azteeg x3 but it looks like a good board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login