Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

De-icer to clean glass print bed

Posted by gsport 
De-icer to clean glass print bed
February 07, 2013 11:06AM
Topic title about covers it.

I was having a lot of problems getting prints to stick to my glass bed (PLA), I thought that it was pretty clean but having read on here that cleaning with acetone or isopropyl alcohol could help I started hunting around for something in the house to use. Found a bottle of car windscreen de-icer and thought I would give it a go...

Works brilliantly.

One squirt, quick wipe off with a sheet of kitchen roll and prints are sticking brilliantly.

My de-icer is labelled as "contains isopropanol".

George
Re: De-icer to clean glass print bed
February 07, 2013 11:20AM
isopropyl alcohol and isopropanol are the same thing smiling smiley
February 07, 2013 11:22AM
Thought they must be pretty close hence I thought it worth trying, wasn't sure what else would be in there that might spoil the effect. For me de-icer is a lot more readily available and cheap...
February 07, 2013 02:42PM
pla is the so easy to print on glass. no need for chemicals or anything.

buy some PVA glue. mix a little water. heat bed to 62C paint it on wait to dry . Print away will stick like crazy. to the point u then have to cool to 30C to remove the print.

You can risk it and get around another 3 - 6 prints from the same PVA but i like to clean away with glass cleaner and some kitchen paper. then another spray of glass cleaner and a micro cloth then repeat. Never had a problem with it this way.
February 07, 2013 03:36PM
My experience of the de-icer is that the print needs to be cooled to this same kind of level to remove. And it seems like less effort than what you describe.

One squirt, wipe, done.

I have done it before turning the heat on and during and both seemed fine.
February 08, 2013 03:01AM
It's all voodoo. Follow a specific pattern and it works, but you don't actually know which part of it is really working.
February 09, 2013 05:01PM
It's not something in the De-icing solution. Prints stick to clean glass better than dirty glass, that's all (if the temperature is set right). Any glass cleaner that doesn't leave a residue works fine too. I personally get by fine with generic Windex.
February 09, 2013 08:16PM
I don't use anything on my glass, just heat it up to 60 C and print then let it cool and the parts pop off. Clean the glass with the razor blade then print again. Never used any chemicals and never had any problems.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
February 09, 2013 08:23PM
Simon
What do you do when using ABS ?

Wired1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't use anything on my glass, just heat it up
> to 60 C and print then let it cool and the parts
> pop off. Clean the glass with the razor blade then
> print again. Never used any chemicals and never
> had any problems.
February 09, 2013 10:53PM
I just this week needed to clean the glas on a machine I took to the office, and I didn;t have alcohol, so I used Goo Gone, which I believe is mostly citrus terpenes and petoleum based others.

I applied it while the bed was hot, and the result was noticeable. The stickyness of the ABS remains, even after cooling. The glass was BSG.
February 10, 2013 04:47PM
Yes well ABS is another messy story - I have only had ABS prints work with diluted ABS as a base so I have to get stuck in with the acetone and slop it around to form the base for the next print. There aren't enough reasons to want to use ABS that often, I use PLA 95% of the time.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login