Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y axis movement

Posted by sahar88888 
Y axis movement
February 21, 2013 02:45PM
Hello, I am a fresh Huxley owner.
I tried to print a 1cm cube, and noticed the Y axis movement was too short- it was 9mm.
How do i make pronterface scale the Y axis? or is it impossible and I have to set the motor currents EXACTLY the same?
Also, I tried to set the "infill width over thickness" but failed to find it in pronterface settings (I am trying to set the printer using this : [www.reprap.org])
If you can help me that would be great smiling smiley
Thanks in advance !
Re: Y axis movement
February 21, 2013 02:56PM
9mm out of 10 is pretty bad! I would check you are using the right number of motor steps in firmware for XYZ&E.

To answer your question, you scale the number of Y steps in firmware. A lot of guides suggest you calibrate via printing a block, but they ignore plastic shrink. You are best off measuring accurately, with verniers, the actual movement of the machine.

Good luck!
February 21, 2013 02:57PM
OK, but how do I change the number of motor steps in the firmware? Is it through the electrical board and the currents?
and thanks for answering that quickly tongue sticking out smiley
February 21, 2013 03:02PM
No it is not through hardware, it is through software! I am not sure what board you have, but you need to plug it in to your computer and recompile firmware for it (Marlin, Sprinter, Teacup, Repetier, etc) using the correct motor steps.

Post your set up and I can try and point you to the most relevant guide. If it's a kit they will likely provide a preconfigured set up.
February 21, 2013 03:06PM
I have a melzi board (the big green one) on a huxley machine, that's pretty much all i know, i'm gonna need a explanation about firmware types.. sorry for being so... ignorant XD
and maybe it's a problem with the belt or motor currents? when i check physically on the board there is about 0.005 (all between 0.39 and 0.41)
difference between the motor chip currents...
February 21, 2013 03:15PM
Okay, if you got the printer for RepRapPro - then look here:
[reprap.org]

You have marlin installed, so send M503 in pronterface window. It will spew back your current settings.
Then retype this line:

M92 X91.429 Y91.429 Z4000.000 E945.000

Changing Y Axis to desired steps.
February 21, 2013 03:18PM
So i should make 91.429 LESS until the cube's sides are even? (the Y axis is too short)
and btw the same thing happens on circles, there it's incredibly annoying.
February 21, 2013 03:30PM
If the Y axis is too short, you need to increase the number of steps
February 21, 2013 03:52PM
OK ! I'll try it tomorrow. thnx ! I have another question meanwhile. I noticed my prints aren't filled correctly. What parameters should i change in skeinforge to make things filled? because on this page [www.reprap.org]
it says i should change "fill width over thickness" and i can't find that setting anywhere !
February 22, 2013 04:43AM
Hi, I would make sure the dimensions are correct before making any adjustments. I'd also suggest using Cura or Slic3r to begin with instead of skeinforge (Cura is Skeinforge made easy).

Good luck, post back if you have any problems. And please provide pictures of problems, it makes it a lot easier to diagnose.
February 22, 2013 05:57AM
Dimensions are much better now ! thnx !
How do i get / use cura / slic3r and what is the best option?
and if i want to increase my resolution, what should i do?
February 22, 2013 06:11AM
To be honest, I do not know enough about RepRapPro's specific setup. I assume it has its own version of pronterface, with skeinforge linked into the settings menu. From there it should launch skeinforge or slic3r, depending on what they loaded beside it.

After you have loaded the slicer (Skeinforge, Cura or Slic3r) from within settings menu of pronterface, google the software and find a guide to setting it up. Alternatively you can go to slic3r.org (as I assume its preloaded with skeinforge), download it and follow their instructions for tying it with pronterface. The settings menu is much easier in Slic3r and is recommended for newcomers, it is almost self explanatory but you can find slic3r guides on their webpage.

I hope that helps. If you have more troubles, to get speedy and thorough responses I would suggest you log on to IRC.
Freenode is the server and #RepRap is the channel. Hundreds of people are in there 24/7 (a dozen or so active) and can guide you through the process much better than I can on a forum.

All the best!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login