Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Books on 3D Printing

Posted by wenshidi 
New Books on 3D Printing
February 21, 2013 11:15PM
There seems to be a flurry of new books on this subject these days. And now that the Pres has uttered the magic words, the international media is all over it. I saw a 3D printer news story on Korean TV last night and Chinese broadcasters are picking up on it big time.

I have just launched a new book on the subject, entitled

'3D Printing and the Next Technology Gold Rush - The Future of Factories and How to Capitalize on Distributed Manufacturing.'

It is currently available for Kindle readers at the low price of just 3.49.

Of course, if anybody would like to help out with reviews etc, then I would be happy to supply a free copy upon request.

There seems to be a wave of 3d printing books being released at the moment, has anybody read any others?

Of the latest releases, I would venture that mine is the least technical, but I would obviously be interested in the feedback of others.

Chris
VDX
Re: New Books on 3D Printing
February 22, 2013 02:27AM
... I've read recently Chris Anderson's "Makers - the new industrial reolution" and Petra Fastermann's "Die Macher der dritten industriellen Revolution"

Both books covers the same theme, but the German book has a slightly different viewpoint ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 22, 2013 05:55AM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I've read recently Chris Anderson's "Makers -
> the new industrial reolution" and Petra
> Fastermann's "Die Macher der dritten industriellen
> Revolution"

Some of the reviews that I read on Amazon about Makers was not so positive.

I read that he has now left Wired to start up his own biz. He already has a successful drone biz and now he is keen to focus on 3D Printers.
VDX
February 22, 2013 06:10AM
... so he's following his own suggestions spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 22, 2013 03:05PM
I just started on a book for popular-press "for Dummies" distribution, that addresses additive manufacturing technologies, opportunities, uses and challenges. The book is "3D Printing for Dummies" and should be on the shelves by the end of the year. I will be discussing the book on my blog (http://kkhausman.com) as the text progresses - what I can say is that new uses and solutions using additive manufacturing are discovered almost daily, so the future is amazing indeed!

I have been getting educators involved in the potential provided by 3D printing in the classroom through the SOLID Learning model and have found many uses for 3D printed objects when teaching young learners, documented on my research blog (http://STEMulate.org). Right now, I have teachers from New York, California, Texas, Arizona, Hawai'i, Australia and the UK involved but hopw more will expand this program (no cost for involvement, just sharing information to aid teachers).

Kalani Kirk Hausman
March 06, 2013 05:43AM
I agree that getting this technology into the hands of youngsters and students is essential.

"While Makerbot have received a fair amount of negative press recently, it should not be forgotten that they have been heavily involved in solving Third World problems with third world ingenuity. They recently donated a printer to the Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CSIE) at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Chennai, India. They also support the 3D4D Challenge, a competition that awarded Washington Open Object Fabricators (WOOF) a prize of $100,000 to develop a recycling process that will enable waste plastic to be used as filament for 3D printing machines. The project is focussing on recycling high-density polyethylene, the plastic used in milk cartons, but the requests for finished products have been slightly different to what might have been expected. You could be forgiven for thinking that many Africans would want more mass-produced items such as buckets and plastic bowls. However the project coordinators doubt that a 3D-printed bucket—even one made from milk bottles—will ever be cheaper than one made in a factory. The surprising alternative to buckets is actually boats. Most small vessels in West Africa are made from hardwood trees, such as teak, that are becoming increasingly scarce. Making them from waste plastic instead is an environmental win/win: rare species are conserved and less rubbish thrown away. The team estimated that if they had printed a boat from commercial plastic filament it would have cost them $800. Instead, 250 clean, empty milk bottles set them back just $3.20. With our Western cultural bias, it is often easy for us to think that we know what is best for those in the Third World, but this is a perfect example of why we need to keep a more open mind.

Other suggested printable products have similarly come as a surprise to Western observers. Who in America or Europe could have guessed that one of the the most useful items would be specially designed and printed shoes to be worn by individuals suffering from foot deformities caused by the growing problem of jigger fly infestation? There is often a vast chasm of thinking between educated Western urbanites and those still trapped in rural poverty. For example, when we think of shoes, we imagine a pair of expensive Nikes, manufactured from a wide range of complex synthetics. In remote Chinese or sub Saharan villages, acceptable shoes are more likely a simple pair of plastic sandals, something that is both affordable and a step up from their current barefoot status. 3D-printers are ideal for this kind of product."
September 26, 2013 06:36AM
I am more interested in the Next Technology Gold Rush. That is because I am a gold hunter who has a really good gold detector

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 09:09PM by ShayneBrown.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login