Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

lead screw

Posted by chris33 
lead screw
March 06, 2013 01:56PM
hi im looking for a 5mm diameter lead screw and nut where may i find one, as i think changing the 5mm threaded rod for the z drives to lead screw will be better for calibration calculations so if any one can point to a ebay seller or a uk seller that would be brill

silly question too if the specs says the lead of the screw is 0.50mm, does that mean thats the travel 0.50mm after 1 full turn?
Re: lead screw
March 06, 2013 02:10PM
I would think that you can find M5 threaded rods in HW stores in the UK and cut them to size.

M5 threaded rods won't make calibration any easier or better. It just means that your steps per mm would be different. People use it to reduce z wobble since it's more flexible than the more common M8 rods.

M5 does come in two pitches: 0.5 mm and 0.8 mm per turn.
March 06, 2013 02:19PM
im trying too not use hardware stores threaded rod im after proper cnc lead screw with the same diameter as 5mm
March 06, 2013 02:31PM
What do you expect to gain by spending more money on the z lead screws?
March 06, 2013 02:32PM
constancy
March 06, 2013 02:43PM
That doesn't seem to exist. The trapezoidal charts stop at 8mm, the ACME charts stop at 1.4 inch.
March 06, 2013 02:54PM
You can find round profile screws and nut in R5 and R6 size but that wont be cheap. Those are usuallu hardened high chrome precision grounded
March 06, 2013 03:02PM
ok well i found some ty after hard looking
March 06, 2013 03:24PM
Threaded rods are precise enough for use in the z axis of a 3d printer since it doesn't need to go fast like the x and y axes. The main issue with threaded rods is they are not always straight and the slight bends can result in z wobble where the walls of parts show the pitch of the threaded rods. Repraps are designed to account for this and there are many modifications to improve this. A properly tuned reprap would not show the effect of bent threaded rods on prints. If you want to improve print quality, there are a lot of other places where you can make a bigger difference.
March 06, 2013 03:38PM
well yes i do understand and maybe ill still go with stainless steel for the moment but in future they will be upgraded as im only sourcing parts at moment to start my i3 build, as my frames are cut and ready to be picked up tomorrow
March 06, 2013 06:06PM
Andrew said: "That doesn't seem to exist. The trapezoidal charts stop at 8mm, the ACME charts stop at 1.4 inch"

Maybe I missed something. What doesn't exist?
March 06, 2013 06:40PM
He meant 5 mm trapezoidal lead screws which is what chris33 is looking for. It's not standard but perhaps there's a company that makes them. I'm not sure what chris33 found.
March 07, 2013 04:30PM
im on about 5mm diameter 3/16" (5 mm) which i can get here
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login