Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Most cost-efficient 3-D printers for school arts?

Posted by Jimcycles 
Most cost-efficient 3-D printers for school arts?
March 09, 2013 05:59PM
A non-profit organization with which I volunteer has an opportunity to obtain a grant for use of new technology in arts. I am not familiar with 3-D printing, but need to submit a budget for the grant. I need suggestions of which printers are best for use by elementary school children for arts. What are the machine costs and supply costs. Let's assume use by about 20 students. Thanks, Jim
Re: Most cost-efficient 3-D printers for school arts?
March 09, 2013 06:18PM
i would have thought a 3d printer would be too unsafe for use by children.
March 09, 2013 06:46PM
None. Low cost 3D printers are not ready for the mainstream. Wait another year.
March 09, 2013 07:43PM
While I like the idea of using 3D printers in education, I have to agree with lazzymonk. There are hot surfaces, crushing hazards and noxious fumes (probably even worse for children than it is already for us). Some of the hazards might be taken care of with a case / chamber and using good grade PLA filament, though.

I have no idea about your other requirements, so it's difficult to say whether a RepRap style printer would even be suitable. If you see it more as an experimental device, then it might work out (you will have to learn a heap of stuff to get it working correctly, though). If you are more thinking in the direction of plug-and-play like 2D printers are, then I have to agree with Billy that the technology is not ready yet.
March 11, 2013 05:57PM
The UP printer is popular with education, but not cheap.

Random Precision
March 12, 2013 06:21AM
Actually if I have something to print I go to my public library and print it cheaper than in anywhere else.. Look around about ur location and maybe u will find something best for u . Because I can say that for a little car model I payed 20 dollars.
March 12, 2013 09:57AM
Libraries offer 3D printing services now? Where do you live? That's rather awesome since I only know of Staples offering comparable services in some countries.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login