Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hobbed bolt help?

Posted by tattooedfish 
hobbed bolt help?
March 16, 2013 03:56PM
First week I was using my reprap everything was fine been doing.a lot of printing and now my hobbed bolt seems to chew up filament regardless of what tension I adjust the idler it will work for about 20 min then it stops extruding the heat is fine k can still push abs through.

I am thinking about ordering a hyena shaft but was curious what u guys feel is the best designed extruder bolt.
Re: hobbed bolt help?
March 16, 2013 05:21PM
It probably slipped once (hot end temp too low, extruding too fast, blocked nozzle, insufficient idler pressure or drag on the filament) and chewed up the filament, clogging or partially clogging the teeth. Take the hobbed bolt out and clean the teeth. A sharp point is easiest. You could try setting the stepper voltage lower so the motor skips rather than chewing through the filament.
March 16, 2013 06:08PM
What droftarts suggested might already solve all your troubles.
We have been using hobbed bolts made with tapping tools for about one year or so and only extremely rarely got stripped filament (the last big issue was like half a year ago until we found out that the hot end we used on the workshop printer did not like PLA too much), so these hobbed bolts are already extremely good and reliable (when done right) if your hot end isn't jamming constantly.
I have ordered a Mini Hyena 2.0 for my own printer; although I have not been able to print with it yet, extruding tests went very well. Manufacturing quality is high, with some scratches on the brass, though, but in non-critical places.
Given that it doesn't cost (significantly) more than "normal" hobbed bolts, the price is quite good, actually.
The tooth profile is a lot more aggressive and consistent than that of bolts using tapping tools, so it should make a difference when pushed to extremes.
Hope that was at least a little bit informative.
March 18, 2013 01:09AM
Figured out my issues was a broken head that I must have over heated... shrugs but ima try one of em anyway can't hurt to have spares
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login