Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot end from HP 3d printer

Posted by newbrap 
Hot end from HP 3d printer
March 17, 2013 07:13PM
Hi,

I recently obtained a part from a repaired HP 3d printer and wondered if it could be adapted for use in a Reprap Prusa? The reason that the print head was change was that an error occurred and caused the head to clog at the nozzle. There are two hot ends on the actual head itself. Each hot end has two heating elements and a thermistor (please see attached photos and I will also try and find their values)

The dimensions for the head are roughly 46mm x 16.5mm x 16mm.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

Nick.

Re: Hot end from HP 3d printer
March 17, 2013 07:24PM
I'd imagine it should work. looks kinda heavy though. might need higher spec motors.

not sure but I'd also imagine a bit of tinkering with the firmware may be required. check out the IRC. you should get some good real time answers there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 07:26PM by keithCl.
March 17, 2013 08:03PM
That looks like it is taken right from a dimension machine. There is more info about in this Kisslicer thread [kisslicer.com] .It uses a single motor and moves the motor/drive wheel side to side to change extruder being used..

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 18, 2013 12:04PM
I was thinking of using just one of the heads rather than try and shoe horn both of then into a Reprap. I'll try the IRC as well but I will most likely build a vanilla Reprap as my first printer. Thanks for the pointers!
March 18, 2013 02:52PM
stratasys lets HP sell the Uprint in Europe under their own name.

If you use one of those heat blocks, you might need to blow cold air on the inlet tube that protrudes.
It will be very hot and the PLA will soften/fatten at the inlet. That Kisslicer thread shows the air blower they use.

Dave
March 19, 2013 02:55PM
The yellow connectors are type J thermocouples and the the heaters are 120V DC heaters. (1/4" diameter).
March 19, 2013 03:01PM
Honestly if this is your forst build I think making those hotends work on a reprap is going to be a lot of work.
If you look at the KISSlicer thread you'll see how they are used in the Dimension printers and how much additional stuff there is that you don't have.
March 21, 2013 06:22PM
That's pretty much what I thought. I'll stick with a Rep Rap extruder methinks.....

Changing the subject, I dug out an old scanner that I had sitting on top of a cupboard for a number of years and it looks as if it may be a good candidate for a bootrap. It's an old SCSI Agfa StudioScan and appears to be fit for purpose as the scanner head assembly appears to made from extruded aluminium and the stepper motor fixing holes are a perfect fit for the Nema17 stepper motor.

Any how, many thanks for all the info and advice gents!

Nick.
March 22, 2013 10:13PM
Yikes--SCSI?!? There's a term I haven't seen in a loooong time. eye popping smiley If you don't have a SCSI interface in your PC already, you may want to abort that idea (IIRC, they're expensive) unless you mean to harvest it for parts.

1st working printer: Printrbot Plus v1 (built from kit, not pre-assembled) with Super-Z upgrade.
2nd printer currently under construction: Printrbot Plus v2 frame, with RAMPS electronics and TrinityLabs.com Magma hot end.
March 23, 2013 03:40PM
I'm not using it for the interface - just thinking of using the actual bed as a basis for a repstrap. It seems to be solid enough for the job although I've run into an issue with being able to mount the Z-axis motors at the bottom (I suppose I could mount them at the top?). There's also a stepper motor mounted on the Y-axis which has the same dimensions as a Nema 17 motor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login