Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's the strongest PLA?

Posted by 3ddude 
What's the strongest PLA?
March 19, 2013 09:18AM
I've recently swapped to a different colour PLA from a different manufacturer and it seems to have a weaker bnod between layers. I assume different PLA will have different properties anyway but could I imporove it by increasing temperature or something like that?

Also, can anyone recommend a strong PLA?

I haven't tried ABS yet but I'm a little put off by the promise of a bad smell (printer is in the house, near where we dry clothes!)

Ross
Re: What's the strongest PLA?
March 19, 2013 11:12AM
A few things to do with new PLA

1) Confirm the single wall thickness is what it's meant to be - different plastics seem to affect this, you could be under depositing plastic.

2) Raise the temps a bit

3) Try thinner layers - thinner layers make a stronger part.
March 19, 2013 01:12PM
I'll check the single wall thickness. My parts come out slightly larger than they should at the moment and I'd assumed so far that it was extruding a little too wide (it's about 0.2mm wider than the 10mm test cube should be). How would I draw up a single wall test object?

Temp change will be a good test too then by the sound of it. The part was made at 0.2mm and it broke perfectly along the layer.

Thanks for your help cool smiley
March 20, 2013 04:50AM
Just print a normal solid cube with 1 perimeter, 1 solid layer and zero infill. Kill the print before it prints the top layer and you have a single walled shape smiling smiley
March 20, 2013 05:33AM
Ah, yes thanks! Seems obvious now! grinning smiley
March 20, 2013 10:56PM
I've recently been printing with impact modified PLA from diamondage.co.nz
It is very strong, but I have lost a little quality.
March 26, 2013 05:51AM
I now print at 200 deg with this filament and it bonds very well now. I can't believe the difference it made! I need to play around with the settings as I'm still a little over the single wall thickness. I reduced it a bit based on the comments above and it was definately under-extruding. I'm sure there's a sweet spot there somewhere though. I'll probably find it as the last metre runs through the machine grinning smiley

I'll look into the diamondage filament too. I'd like to find a suitable plastic to make functional parts with as I still don't fancy the smell of ABS...
March 26, 2013 06:06AM
All of the PLA I have tried is strong with the exception of the clear PLA.
Apparently the additives used to color the filament add strength (or elasticity).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login