Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High Temp material for the extruder

Posted by bobt 
High Temp material for the extruder
December 30, 2008 05:37PM
I was just over at ACE Hardware and happen to find a High Temp Stove and Gasket Cement in a tube. The tube is 2.7 FL oz in size and withstands 2000 degrees F (1095 degrees C). Also the cost is reasonable only 3.79 plus tax. Instructions: open tube. Clean the work area. Dampen the work area and apply cement. Let set for 1 hour then heat slowly. WARNING: Contains Sodium Silicate 1344-09-8.

This is made by Rutland Fire Clay Co. in Rutland VT. Item #77

Here is the data sheet: [www.rutland.com]

I have no relationship with the company. I just found the stuff on the rack and bought it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 05:41PM by Robert Teeter.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
Re: High Temp material for the extruder
December 30, 2008 07:08PM
Keep us posted on how it works out for you. The price is certainly attractive. smileys with beer

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
Anonymous User
January 04, 2009 03:06PM
Whay do you get when the stuff hardens? Soft rubber? Hard Resin? Brittle ceramic-like stuff?
January 07, 2009 09:16PM
I've worked with that stuff. It's made from silica sand, sodium silicate ("water glass") and colorants. The sodium silicate reacts with CO2 in the atmosphere to form silicon dioxide. The end result quite similar to glass... hard and brittle.

A thick enough layer (I'm guessing 1/4 inch) could be strong enough for an extruder insulator. The thicker the layer the longer it takes for the CO2 to penetrate and "set" it.

High Temperature Furnace Cement can be found in tubs at many hardware stores. Look in the plumbing and heating section. Rutland sells several sizes under the "Chimney Sweep" brand:
8oz $2.79
16oz $4.43
32oz $6.99
64oz $11.66
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login