Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help needed with Skeinforge settings

Posted by danlad1631 
Help needed with Skeinforge settings
April 14, 2013 11:32AM
Hi, New here and new to repraps and could really do with some advice. Hope this is posted in the correct place.

As you can see from the picture, it's not the best looking print. What are the causes and what settings do I need to change/tweak in skeinforge to improve the print quality?

1. What causes the string and how can I fix this?

2. What causes the blobs on each layer and how can this been improved?

3. What causes the build up on the back of the tall straight sections

4. Does the infill look ok, and can it be improved?

5. The lines don't meet up on each layer, there is a small gap. How can this be fixed?

The head hit one on the sides and knoked it over in the end, I think this was due to the build up of plastic. Could there be another cause for this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dan
Attachments:
open | download - Problems.jpg (481.3 KB)
Re: Help needed with Skeinforge settings
April 14, 2013 12:40PM
1. Too high temp, too much material extruded. Ooze.
2. Ooze
3. Ooze
4. Looks like a bit too much extrusion
5. Nozzle priming at start of print. Infill not meeting perimeter is backlash or infill overlap.
April 14, 2013 12:50PM
Ok, thanks.

Could you advice on which one, Oozebane or Oozestep? Is it just a case of playing with the settings or is there a standard?

Could you also advice on where i can change the extrusion and where to adjust the backlash? None of the names in the settings mean much to me at the moment.

Thanks
April 14, 2013 12:56PM
don't use oozebane

Fill>infill overlap for infill gaps (lower number is more overlap)
Dimension>filament retraction settings(retraction distance should be around 1mm)
Speed>main flowrate and perimeter flowrate(reduce values)

Reduce extruder temperature. Experiment with this.
April 14, 2013 01:10PM
Thanks, I'll give this a try and see how I get on.
April 14, 2013 01:20PM
Is there a way to change the start point of each layer? It always semms to start on the same corner.
April 14, 2013 01:25PM
Fill>start new layer from(lower left or nearest)
Jitter>if on, will vary the start point
April 14, 2013 01:30PM
Thanks. Sorry one last question for now... I've changed the temerature to 190 in "Temperature" but it stays at 200 when printing, is this the correct place to change the setting?
April 14, 2013 01:54PM
I can't help you with temperature gcode. I'm running Mach3 software and manually control my temps.
April 14, 2013 01:55PM
Ok, no problem. Thanks for the help and advice Dirty Steve.
April 14, 2013 02:01PM
Since changing the settings I'm now getting what you see in the pic. It's a 25mm cube, it prints the first 2 layers fine but then prints half the 3rd layer way off the 2nd one. Any thoughts on what could cause this?
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (565.8 KB)
April 14, 2013 04:31PM
You are dropping steps on your Y axis stepper motor. Check for belt binding/over tightened belts, or depending on your electronics you may need to up the current to that motor.

I have dropped steps before when extruding too much plastic so that when the extruder passes on the next layer, it can actually get snagged by the material from the previous layer.
April 14, 2013 07:03PM
Also check the set screws on your pulleys. I had that exact issue on the x axis and it was a loose screw.
April 14, 2013 09:24PM
Before drifting off to the second problem, which admittedly needs to be taken care of first, let's revisit the reason your other part prints so poorly. It is the design that is to blame, if blame isn't too strong a word. You see, those ribs have a lot going against them when you consider them on a layer by layer basis.

1. They are isolated from each other. This means your extruder has to stop, and start. A lot.
2. As isolated print areas, they are quite small. This does not give much time to start and stop the print within the island, making it critical that the retract feature be set precisely. I would not recommend using the retract feature of the slicing software if your firmware supports its own retract functions.
3. Using retract on small features is very touchy. In fact, it is so touchy when it comes to small features, that you may find it works great on one STL, and then flops on another.

It is not impossible to get good results, but you should really consider that the part is not designed to be the best print. Yes, there is a wow factor in printing the whole thing at once, but designing and printing it in multiple flat pieces would print much cleaner and be srtonger.
April 14, 2013 10:29PM
It's not the design, even if the print was two calibration cubes spaced apart the print would have these issues at the same settings..

The print problems here are just fine tuning issues to me, not major.

I've made much larger jumps to much smaller islands without blobs, strings, or ooze.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 11:09AM by Dirty Steve.
April 15, 2013 02:44AM
I've uploaded more images to give a better idea of the problems I'm having.

Image 1. Is this caused from the print starting in the same place every time?

Image 2. It now seems to start from a new point on the print after the first 2/3 layers. You can see in image 3 that it then wants to add it to other end of the print. Is this caused by the mother jumping, or is it down to the STL file? The first time I printed this part I never had the problem, so I don't know why this is happening now.

Image 3. You can see how it want to add it to the other side of the print.

Image 4. It now wants to add this to print at the begining.

Sorry if I'm asking the same questions, I just want to get it right and understand what causes all this.

Thanks

Dan

Back to my real job now... printing canvases not plastic.
Attachments:
open | download - Back.jpg (360.6 KB)
open | download - Starts from a new point.jpg (501.5 KB)
open | download - Adds it to other side.jpg (463.5 KB)
open | download - Adds this now.jpg (565.5 KB)
April 15, 2013 11:14AM
1. Still extruding too much material
2. Still dropping steps in your Y axis motor
3. ??
4. Oozing material onto bed as extruder moves from 0 to the start position of the print.
April 15, 2013 01:52PM
Thanks for all the help on this. You was right about the Y axis, the belt was slack.

Attached is a model I designed for an idea and also some image on what it printed. If you could guide me on how I could improve it, it would be much appreciated.

I feel like it's improving but still a way to go.

How can I improve the printing dimensions of the print, they are coming out a bit to small?

Is image 3 still a jitter problem or is that down to much extrusion. It always seems to happen where a layer stops then meets up again.

Where can I find the setting for adding support material? Is that standard setting you would use for this?

Is there a way to change the side it prints on i.e. the bottom of the model not the side?

Thanks again
Attachments:
open | download - male end.JPG (180.6 KB)
open | download - Dimensions out a bit.jpg (442.1 KB)
open | download - Jitter problem.jpg (437.8 KB)
open | download - No support material.jpg (509.9 KB)
April 15, 2013 02:13PM
Can you slice it and post the Penultimate gcode so I can take a look at all your Skeinforge settings?

Under Export>Save Penultimate checkbox at the bottom. Will save to the same directory.

Nozzle size? Filament size?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 02:18PM by Dirty Steve.
April 15, 2013 02:22PM
Once I hit "save all" where can I find the directory? Sorry to sound so thick!
April 15, 2013 02:23PM
Nozzle 0.5 Filament 1.75.

Do you live in the UK? I would like to offer you a free photo on canvas for all your help.
April 15, 2013 02:26PM
It will save to the same directory that your .stl file is in. I'm in the US, don't worry about it, this is what this forum is for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 02:28PM by Dirty Steve.
April 15, 2013 02:35PM
Ok, it's nice to thank people for their help but the US is a bit to far to send it, sorry.

Think I've worked it out, is this correct?
Attachments:
open | download - male end.gcode (219.6 KB)
April 15, 2013 02:48PM
the penultimate file should have a name like male end_penultimate.gcode. The file will have all the SF settings at the beginning.
April 15, 2013 03:01PM
This should be it.
Attachments:
open | download - male end_penultimate.gcode (321 KB)
April 15, 2013 03:25PM
Dimension>Retraction distance (with everything dialed in correctly this should be around 1mm or less) This can cause the blobs at the start points due to the amount of time the nozzle is not moving to retract the filament 2.2mm.
Fill>Thread Sequence(best setting is Loops>Perimeter>Infill

Support material settings are under Raft tab, support is tricky in SF.

If your machine steps/mm calibration is correct, you may need to modify the model itself. I don't know what would be easy freeware software out there for model manipulation, I use 3DS Max. Same for rotating the model so that you can change what face of the model is facing down.

You may want to check out KISSlicer. Really good prints, fast slicing, and easy to learn. If you check it out, don't download the version on the site, go into the KISSlicer forum/News thread, and download the latest build at the top of the news forum posts.
April 15, 2013 03:47PM
Ok, Just downloaded it, I'll try to learn that one now. Thanks for the help.
April 19, 2013 01:02PM
danlad1631 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks. Sorry one last question for now... I've
> changed the temerature to 190 in "Temperature" but
> it stays at 200 when printing, is this the correct
> place to change the setting?

I had the same problem. Took me lots of swearing and searching before I figured out what to do.

You need to find the start file. It's a text file in your Skeinforge directory, so open with what ever you use for this.

Find "start_PLA.gcode" Or "start_ABS.gcode" if that is what you are using.
Look at where it says 200, and change it to your preferred temprature. Then restart Skeinforge and what ever front end you are using for the setting to take effect properly.
April 19, 2013 01:21PM
Even better, type

M109 S

And skeinforge will subsitute in the correct temperature.
April 19, 2013 04:58PM
Looks a much better solution than mine..

So for me to set the temp to 185, I'd type "M109 S185" into the terminal part of Pronterface yes?
And will that persist across sessions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login