Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why 0.35mm nozzle?

Posted by waitaki 
Why 0.35mm nozzle?
April 17, 2013 09:30PM
That is, why not 0.3mm?
Is there a reason the fractional nozzle size is used?
Re: Why 0.35mm nozzle?
April 17, 2013 09:43PM
I'm guessing here, but if you'll notice that most of the firmware is writen to use the metric instead imerial system.

Rodney
April 18, 2013 01:00AM
It’s a tradeoff between pressure required to extrude material, and detail level.
0.35mm has a surface area of 0.1225mm2
0.3mm has a surface area 0.09mm2

It means you can extrude at least 1/4 more material at the same pressure. Also you can lay down material 1/4 wider per pass. So in total you can have about 1.5 times the speed because the nozzle width is wider, and the nozzle pressure is lower.

And you gain even more speed for drafts as your max layer height can be on average up to the size of the nozzle so about 0.35mm instead of 0.3 for max z height.

this is a best guess answer. I prefer to stick with 0.5mm and sometimes go down to 0.4mm

Hope that helps!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 01:01AM by jamesdanielv.
April 18, 2013 01:30PM
when it comes to doing allot of things in metric i found it a lot nicer to work with math wise.

also most engineering is done in metric from what i know. and if i remember right even the us military uses metric, though i am not certian of that.

given the choice though, i like metric

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
April 18, 2013 03:02PM
dissidence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> also most engineering is done in metric from what
> i know. and if i remember right even the us
> military uses metric, though i am not certian of
> that.

Actually, most engineering in the US is done in standard rather than metric units. I am an aerospace engineer and it drives me nuts, as I would much rather use metric. The military does use metric extensively, as do military contractors.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 19, 2013 04:04PM
If you do some basic Pythagorean math it become clear why ever smaller nozzles are a problem.

0.5 mm has an aria of approximately. 0.78mm2

0.3 mm is 0.28mm2

That's 2.7 times more aria for material to pass through. It makes a huge difference to pressure and volume to increase the diameter by even a small amount.

Make your Mendel twice as accurate.
[www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login