4d printing
April 18, 2013 01:47PM
I just got done watching this pretty amazing TED talk
Check it out, and let me know what you think
[www.ted.com]
Re: 4d printing
April 19, 2013 03:52AM
Hi,

"I thought that this was already done in the car industry.....in some of the new emerging countries/manufacturers of cars.......
Drive them on dirt roads and they shake to bits/fall apart.......and when you get back on the sealed roads they....no hang on, they still fall apart" smiling smiley

Joke aside, it is a very interesting concept and maybe we should make this into a competition! (??)
Well, how about designing something that after you take it off the table it starts to contract into another shape!
Like controlling the warping forces in objects. Print an object and after it has been taken off the table it will transform into something different by applying water, heat from a heatgun/hairdryer etc.
I have no idea if pla and abs would be even remotely suitable...but the video sure makes your brain tick a bit.

Thanks for the link

Cheers
Jan
April 19, 2013 03:53PM
Watched this a while ago. Its novel but doesn't really have a practical use just yet.

Make your Mendel twice as accurate.
[www.thingiverse.com]
April 22, 2013 12:59AM
Madkite Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watched this a while ago. Its novel but doesn't
> really have a practical use just yet.

As far as I can see. The practical uses are... making MIT logos??
But it still seems like a very cool idea. There are people doing work on machines that build themselves into any shape based on what is needed, and if these ideas can be done DIY at home
it would be very important.
April 22, 2013 06:19PM
The demos remind me of memory wire.
VDX
April 23, 2013 02:25AM
... 'memory wire' can only be programmed to one shape (with some tweaks to two at different temperatures), but the showed parts should represent more 'intelligent' behaviour like free preprogrammed shapes as with the 'foglets' or 'catoms' concepts.

It will sure come to some sorts of 'intelligent' material, that can change shape and function by reprogramming ... the question now is how and when, not 'if' winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login