Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

0.35mm vs. 0.50mm nozzle

Posted by BobHewson 
0.35mm vs. 0.50mm nozzle
May 01, 2013 11:25PM
What are the pros and cons of the two nozzle sizes when using PLA 1.75?

What changes in settings are needed when changing from 0.35mm to 0.50mm nozzles?

Bob
Re: 0.35mm vs. 0.50mm nozzle
May 02, 2013 05:17AM
0.5 prints about 4 times faster. more surface area is printed at once, and less pressure means you can run extruder faster
May 02, 2013 05:49AM
What about the resolution of the print x and y (details)? Thin walls will also be larger with the 0.5mm nozzle.
May 02, 2013 07:34AM
To be honest, I used to print with a 0.5mm but now that I am printing with a 0.4 I really miss my old 0.5 nozzle. It printed much faster and to be honest, for the scale of things I print it doesn't matter a thing.

Most of all I am currently still improving my machine to the point where I have control over everything and printing parts with my 0.4mm nozzle is slowing me down.

Next week I'm back to 0.5
May 02, 2013 09:00AM
The nozzle size doesn't affect the thickness of walls (that is determined by the flow rate, feed rate and layer height) but it does affect the precision with which they are laid down and how much the plastic is stretched. I.e. sharpness of corners, bridge spanning, etc.

The pressure to extrude goes up with the inverse forth power of nozzle diameter so it needs four times the pressure for the same flow rate through 0.35mm than 0.5mm. Note that the force needed to feed the filament is not only the pressure but also the force to slide the plug that forms at the transition zone. The former dominates for small nozzles and the latter for large nozzles.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 02, 2013 09:46AM
Good mention Nop, I indeed had more trouble with 'stuck plugs' when I was printing with 0.5mm
With my 0.4mm nozzle I haven't had a single problem with my filament getting stuck since I started using it about 3 to 4 weeks ago.

Hmm.. I didn't know. So maybe I should consider keeping my Budaschnozzle that comes in next week at 0.4mm also.

nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The nozzle size doesn't affect the thickness of
> walls (that is determined by the flow rate, feed
> rate and layer height) but it does affect the
> precision with which they are laid down and how
> much the plastic is stretched. I.e. sharpness of
> corners, bridge spanning, etc.
>
> The pressure to extrude goes up with the inverse
> forth power of nozzle diameter so it needs four
> times the pressure for the same flow rate through
> 0.35mm than 0.5mm. Note that the force needed to
> feed the filament is not only the pressure but
> also the force to slide the plug that forms at the
> transition zone. The former dominates for small
> nozzles and the latter for large nozzles.
May 02, 2013 10:53AM
I am using a 0.25mm nozzle on my Budaschnozzle v1.3 for a while now. When I switched from the 0.5mm nozzle I noted a much better detail quality for my prints, but speed also was a lot longer to print as I also went from 0.4mm layer height to 0.2mm layer height. Bridging is the only thing that has suffered from that change, large gaps tend to fall so support is needed more.
May 02, 2013 12:25PM
>Good mention Nop, I indeed had more trouble with 'stuck plugs' when I was printing with 0.5mm

I am not saying the plug resistance is any less with a bigger nozzle, just that it becomes more significant.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login