Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using a Hobbed stepper shaft for an extruder

Posted by WallyCloud 
Using a Hobbed stepper shaft for an extruder
May 02, 2013 06:33PM
Hey guys,

I hobbed a steppers shaft and have been using it for a while now to direct drive 3mm. It works great and is excellent in simplicity. I thought I would write it up so that people can see that it can be done. The much smaller filament drive radius you can achieve gives the stepper way more torque so that driving 3mm is easy with a 43Ncm stepper. I also found it easier then making a hobbed bolt.

Here it is:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Hobbed_Stepper_Extruder

Thanks,
Wally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 06:34PM by WallyCloud.
Re: Using a Hobbed stepper shaft for an extruder
May 02, 2013 07:21PM
So, you actually have the springs pulling instead of pushing?

Looks very clean. I understand this probably won't work with 1.75mm filament, did you consider trying it?
May 02, 2013 11:28PM
there actually is an old reprap article on how to hobble a stepper shaft. in fact this was a design used for the first mendel.

it is posted here. [objects.reprap.org]

I'd be more intererested in your pinch setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2013 01:01AM by jamesdanielv.
May 03, 2013 12:01AM
what hotend are you using?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 03, 2013 09:08AM
@Ohmarinus
Nah the springs are pushing, you just slot them in there when its apart. I don't have a 1.75mm hotend or filament so I haven't tried, I figure they use a smaller groove and tap for 1.75 but I don't know.

@jamesdanielv
Ha, never found that when I was looking for people who had done this, interesting. The plastic pin on the right hand side moves in a slot, so as the left hand bearing moves down (from say 11 to 9 o'clock) it pulls the right hand bearing in. I will post some pictures with the front arm removed soon but I found something which I need to fix.

@thejollygrimreaper
Its just a mendel-parts.com v9.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login