Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

.9 steppers ?

Posted by AVRkire 
.9 steppers ?
May 03, 2013 06:28AM
I have been thinking about upgrading to 0.9 steppers from my 1.8 steppers in hopes to gain accuracy.

Can anyone tells me 1) if this will in fact gain accuracy, and 2) are there any downsides to going with 0.9 instead of 1.8?

Thanks.
Re: .9 steppers ?
May 03, 2013 06:36AM
[www.matterhackers.com]

All info will find therethumbs up
May 03, 2013 06:46AM
in theory it will double your accuracy, but in practice it depends on the quality of the stator and the precision of the parts.

with smaller teeth I think it would decrease torque, but increase angular resolution, if parts are accurate enough. then there is the issue of running the motors with 1/32 steps. this may be too high of a resolution for the micro controller to handle reasonably well except for rambo with ability to scale the divisor at will to increase performance, or controllers with an arm cortex processor that have ample speed and math resolution to provide the step detail.

so in all, it generally will not work well with current hardware such as ramps, and it is not likely that the precision is improved on the 0.8 step, and the loss in torque will have an effect on max speed as well.

This is my opinion, and i encourage discussion on this. It would be nice for people to here the pros and cons of a 0.8deg 400 step a revolution stepper motor.
Sal
May 03, 2013 06:56AM
I recently did this with my direct drive extruder in hope of getting a more even extrusion rate. For me it did not work out as planned because with the .9 stepper I had to turn up the current adjustment which led to un-even microstepping instead. With a new hot-end with less friction I was able to turn down the current to low values and now have perfectly even extrusion. However, that is also true for my brother who did the same hot-end switch but kept the 1.8 stepper. So for a direct drive extruder (MK7 drive) a switch to 0.9 stepper seems to have at best no effect. I may try the same experiment on x or y axis sometime, but think that the real limitation is the rigidity of the frame. Others maybe have more positive experience?
May 03, 2013 09:03AM
You would be better setting up a 2:1 gear ratio.
May 03, 2013 10:04AM
I don't see why it would help accuracy when with a 1.8 you only have about 1/20 of 1 micron per microstep.

[www.matter-replicator.com]
May 03, 2013 11:19AM
I've got 0.9's and I can't see a real advantage on X/Y/E until RAMPS for Due/UDOO comes out.

The extra resolution on Z is quite nice if you're in full-step mode on that axis - more layer height choices.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 03, 2013 09:53PM
Thanks everyone, this has been helpful
May 04, 2013 12:42AM
akhlut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The extra resolution on Z is quite nice if you're
> in full-step mode on that axis - more layer height
> choices.

I will have these choices with 1.8 and non-metric threads:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 12:43AM by rsilvers.

[www.matter-replicator.com]
May 04, 2013 12:57PM
Chances are there are other improvements you could make to your machines movement that would result in better print resolution rather then changing your motors. You may also want to consider switching to a stepper driver that has 1/32 microstepping as an alternative as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login