Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Nozzle Released

Posted by akhlut 
Re: Prusa Nozzle Released
August 22, 2013 05:05PM
The liner is the whole point of getting that hot end. I was going to use my Marlin table to see what heater cartridge and thermistor might be the best fit though I'd appreciate suggestions from those that have been there. I haven't yet looked at it but it shouldn't be too tough to figure out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 05:06PM by vegasloki.
September 20, 2013 11:53AM
Hi there Prusa Nozzle user,
has anyone experience with the new MKII nozzle?
PLA with or without fan?
September 27, 2013 04:45PM
I have not yet tried PLA with MKII but for ABS it works nicely starting from 230C (I am using it at 235C). Fan always on (same should apply for PLA). Gone are the problems of my extruder ending up biting into the filament sometimes (the fan duct cooling all the barrel worked for me too with the previous version: [www.thingiverse.com] )

However, those whose problem was caused by irregular (and eventually too thick) filament diameter will see no improvement, as MKII internal diameter has not change and anything thicker than 3mm will get stuck in the barrel.

With the addition of the cooling fins and the fan I guess now there is a large barrel section even after hours of printing and a well-defined and short transition zone. J-Head mount type comes in handy, and you can use it, for example with sgraber's compact extruder: [github.com]

New heater has a plastic cover that it is easier to strip. MKII is also very easy to remove for cleaning.
September 27, 2013 04:51PM
I've got a couple of MKII's sitting on my desk, taunting me. I need to finish retrofitting my machine to use them though.

Soon. grinning smiley

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
September 27, 2013 06:38PM
It seems like Jo solved the problem of an uncontrolled transition zone by adding that heat sink. However, while the MKII version is likely a reliable hot end, I get the feeling that you are paying 90+ USD for hot end with very similar capability and performance as the 60USD E3D hot end...

The advantage that I see is that there is no junction within the melt zone where plastic can fill and cause jams. Additionally, I imagine that the polishing procedures (reaming and lapping I believe) that Jo applies to the interior of the SS nozzle are superior to that which is applied to the E3D SS heat break which would make the Prusa MKII nozzle less susceptible to jamming under more extreme conditions (ie. printing PLA with large retractions or printing within a heated chamber).

I guess the question is whether or not these advantages warrant the price difference.

Eric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login