Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gizmodo "Why 3D Printing is Overhyped"

Posted by vegasloki 
Gizmodo "Why 3D Printing is Overhyped"
May 17, 2013 10:37PM
Interesting piece by Nick Allen about the expectations and perception in public about 3D printing.

Other images show gloss plastics with complex shapes that have been produced on machines worth hundreds of thousands of pounds, and then have been meticulously post-processed for hours, days, even weeks, at great expense by highly-trained professionals. People see images or videos of 3D printed mechanisms, 3D printed tables, material 3D prints, and of course guns, and then they see that they can buy one for under £500 and think WOW! I can do all this at home — this is the future! And it is, in some respects — it’s going to open so many things up in the world. But that doesn’t mean to say that you will do it yourself or that it will decentralise manufacturing, like the hype seems to suggest

[www.gizmodo.co.uk]
Re: Gizmodo "Why 3D Printing is Overhyped"
May 17, 2013 10:50PM
I stopped at

Joe Public on the other hand may see this and think it’s made from a combination of metals, plastics and rubbers.

Dude doesn't think highly of the average person.

Apparently everyone is too stupid to know that a new technology has limitations in its infancy, and therefore 'this is all just hype'
May 17, 2013 11:03PM
Joe public doesn't know what 3d printing is or that it even exists yet.
May 17, 2013 11:29PM
I don't think 3D printers are overhyped. But having one at home now is like buying an Apple-II in 1979. It is no IBM mainframe. But it will change the world. We have another 30 years to go though.

[www.matter-replicator.com]
May 18, 2013 12:44AM
ShadowRam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently everyone is too stupid to know that a
> new technology has limitations in its infancy, and
> therefore 'this is all just hype'

Just yesterday a guy was telling me about how they have replicators like on star trek now.
May 18, 2013 05:41AM
jzatopa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe public doesn't know what 3d printing is or
> that it even exists yet.

In my experience, this is changing very rapidly. 2 years ago, you would have been right, but not anymore.
And I live in a place which, while not really backward, is far from being in the front of tech awareness.
May 18, 2013 06:10AM
I'm suprised gozmodo even gave this guy 5 mins of their time, he reminds me of the one that said the words "coloring book simple" , in that interview with Bre

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login