Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fan control

Posted by chris33 
fan control
May 23, 2013 05:19PM
I need to use 4 fans and going im unsure where and how to connect on a couple, 1 fan on the ramps to cool drivers, this one will be connected to the spare 12v rail on the 360 psu, 2 fan the for the print as i'm going to be using pla uncertain d10 (only one hot end so that would be availaible) 3 one for the stepper motor on extruder to keep it cool its known run warm uncertain where to attach that one and 4th one the hotend as im going for e3d hotend and i don't know where to plug that one either any help would be gladly noted
Re: fan control
May 23, 2013 06:09PM
I use a combination of a four way fan controller like you would find for a computer. Im not sure if that helps any but that will at least eliminate some plugin spots for your fans. They make new fan controllers that are touch screen and can be had for around $25. I also use there abilities to measure temps for electronics, bed etc.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
May 23, 2013 08:31PM
1,3 and 4 can run all the time, so attach them all directly to 12V. Only fan 2 needs to be under control.
mrc
May 24, 2013 10:11AM
i was also wondering if its possible to Activate the hotend cooler
if the heater gets turned on til it is cooled down to 50° or something like that?
May 24, 2013 11:16AM
mrc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i was also wondering if its possible to Activate
> the hotend cooler
> if the heater gets turned on til it is cooled down
> to 50° or something like that?

The Tantillus branch of Marlin does something like this. It should be fairly easy to implement in any firmware.
May 25, 2013 08:11AM
as im connecting the fan for cooling the drivers on the ramp and wire it up to the spare 12 volt rail on the xbox psu, my question what resistor will i need to use to make sre that it doesn't pum more than 0.09 amps to the fan as thats how much the fan is rated cheers
May 25, 2013 09:43AM
The fan will only pull what it needs it's not a case of the psu pushing power to the fan the fan pulls what it needs.

You only get a problem when a psu has a device trying to draw more power than it can supply that's when the power supply will die.

Ben
May 25, 2013 11:32AM
ok cheers it make wiring up the female xbox connector easier on a pcb mount board
May 28, 2013 06:13AM
mrc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i was also wondering if its possible to Activate
> the hotend cooler
> if the heater gets turned on til it is cooled down
> to 50° or something like that?

You can use this gcode to do that:

M106 S255 ;Turn on fan
M109 S28 ;wait for hotend to reach 28
M106 S0 ;turn off fan
M104 S0 ; turn off temperature completely

I have that in slic3r as the custom gcode so it will run at the end of every job.

Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login