Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Support issues Slic3r 0.9.9

Posted by tmorris9 
Support issues Slic3r 0.9.9
May 27, 2013 01:04AM
So, while the latest slicer support works for some things, it does not seem to like round shapes.

This is an "Angry Bird" from Thingiverse. It was situated tail down so that's how I printed it with support (default settings).

Problem is, the support plastic does not actually touch the outside shape and in that area it looks terrible. I also show close ups in Repetier host how the support shows up, you can clearly see how the support does not touch the ball portion of the bird.

Any ideas? or do I just need to wait for a fix?

Attachments:
open | download - Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 9.53.10 PM.jpg (52.9 KB)
open | download - Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 9.52.16 PM.jpg (78 KB)
Re: Support issues Slic3r 0.9.9
May 27, 2013 01:19PM
Repetier host preview is great tool, but it does not always show items as they print. you can adjust the resolution of the preview to other heights. i think it is set to 0.3mm and setup to show a 3d image quickly. you can play around with the settings in preferences. I think the image does its job, it shows you that it does include support.

from the angry bird picture you included, it looks to me like something caused the filament to lay down unevenly at the top, and even lay down to hot.

are you using cool feature of slicer? and if you are have you set min print speed to 15mm a second? this allows print to slow down, but not too slow to cause oozing.

Also you will need an active fan on this print.

if all else fails try cura. cura uses a version of skein forge, and it is capable of processing stl images with greater accuracy.

[daid.github.io]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 01:20PM by jamesdanielv.
May 27, 2013 04:10PM
I know the cause of the poor print, it's the fact that the support was no where near touching the object so the filament just drops until it hits the support a good 1mm away. Even when done printing I could move the support around the top without disturbing the print (I.E. it was not touching, just the strands that fell).

Yes I have cooling turned on but I don't have a fan on my machine.

I'll try Cura to see if it's support is better.
May 28, 2013 02:14AM
a fan really should be used with pla. here is a similar if not the same print in pla using cura.

also some pics. they are large, i will try to re-size a bit later. a bit tricky getting them in preview of forum.

but bottom line. use a fan support material will sag down without a fan.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 02:20AM by jamesdanielv.
Attachments:
open | download - angryb0.jpg (235.7 KB)
open | download - angryb1.jpg (172 KB)
open | download - angryb_raft.jpg (169 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login