Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few blown up PSU's , PLEASE HEEELLPPP!!!!!

Posted by spodeopieter 
A few blown up PSU's , PLEASE HEEELLPPP!!!!!
June 22, 2013 04:59AM
hey, if somone can please help me, I've blown up 2 atx2 power supplys , cant seem to understand why this happens , I use a modified pololu electronics board it only connects to the ground and the +12v rail of a power supply , and then after a week boom.... and the power supply is dead. all I can think of that could potentially cause this is the fact that i switch the power supply on and off a lot , it powers everything , including the arduino and hot end and motors from one rail .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 05:45AM by spodeopieter.
Re: A few blown up PSU's , PLEASE HEEELLPPP!!!!!
June 22, 2013 06:02AM
Switching off and on again quickly can damage it. Some PSUs use a thermistor in series with the mains to limit the inrush current. When it is cold it has a high resistance and warms up very quickly to become almost a short circuit. That gives a soft start. If you switch it off and then on again before the thermistor is cooled you don't get the soft start. It is better to wait a few seconds before switching it on again.

The high inrush can damage the switch, or possibly blow the fuse, or the rectifiers.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: A few blown up PSU's , PLEASE HEEELLPPP!!!!!
June 22, 2013 08:29AM
Try adding fuses between your psu, heatbed, fan circuit, controller, etc..... They are cheaper than atx power supplies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login