Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruding problem

Posted by markmotor 
Extruding problem
July 10, 2013 04:05PM
Hi, I've got an Prusa printer with Wades's extruder. When I start printing it can print the first layers very well, but it print the other layers with bigger speed and the hobbed bolt can't push the filament into the hot-end and it just spinning, if I tighten the springs hard the motor heat up very fast.
I'm using NEMA 17 motors and printing on about 235C. I don't know what need to do, i hope anyone offer some advice?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_4909.jpg (575.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_4910.jpg (588.8 KB)
Re: Extruding problem
July 10, 2013 04:56PM
Stepper motors don't get hotter when they have more load, so tightening the springs should not affect its temperature. If it gets too hot you need to reduce the current and keep the springs tight.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 10, 2013 08:27PM
what material are you using? if it is pla, then you will want to reduce temp, and /or add an external fan to cool the pla going into the hot end. another thing, are you able to push the feedstock thru by hand? if not then look at the thickness of the wades walls. they may need to be oversized a little to allow feedstock to push thru easy.
July 10, 2013 09:27PM
had this same problem
file down this spot some, the roller bearing catches up from time to time on faster speeds
i used a grider bit with my dremmel and took my time

good luck!
Attachments:
open | download - extruder.jpg (388.5 KB)
July 10, 2013 10:17PM
you might wanna check to see if your not getting a jam in your hot end,

when it heats up and stops like that can you still push it in by hand.?

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 12, 2013 05:40AM
I set the steppers load so they don't get hotter. I checked the wade's walls and if I remove the hot-end I can push thru the filament easy and the cold part is good. If I print the ABS on bigger temp will it easier to push thru the filament?
July 12, 2013 08:17PM
if it is not reading the correct temp it would be worth a try,

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 13, 2013 04:15PM
When I printing a 4cm long and 3cm tall object and I set the temp to 240C it start printing but after the first 5 layer the temp goes down to about 210C and the extruder can't pull the filament, what could cause this Im using Pronterface?
July 14, 2013 09:43AM
look at your gcode if there is no other m109 or m104 command to adjust temp then it is an insulation issue with hot end, but if after 1st layer temp is changed then you will need to address it in a software setting. in skein forge or sfact disable temp settings. in slic3r set temp for layers to 0 (zero) this disables temp change on layers.

richrap has some setting instructions for slic3r [richrap.blogspot.com]
July 14, 2013 10:25AM
Thank you guys for helping I hope richrap's setting instructions will solve my problem smiling bouncing smiley
July 26, 2013 06:43PM
To do this you will need to edit, re-compile and upload firmware to your electronics, I'm going to assume you already know how to do that using the Arduino software. - (If not let me know).
Hi RichRap,
I'm new to the 3D printing scene and I have successfully built the Huxley printer but I need to calibrate the Extruder using the Arduino software. I would be grateful for your help so that I can carry out a successful print.
Many thanks
johnnyj
October 22, 2013 03:41PM
the motor dose not push/pull the abs filament into the printing head at the right speed , dose anyone known a way inprove the output. i have it set to 230 for print head ans 110 foe the bed
October 22, 2013 05:06PM
Calibrate it!

[reprap.org]

Click here to login