Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is a RepRap printer a good fit for someone with a disability?

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
Is a RepRap printer a good fit for someone with a disability?
July 12, 2013 07:07PM
Hi my name is Garry and I opened an account here a short while ago and have been very glad I did. I've learned a lot already and hope to learn a lot more. I have about 6-8 months experience 3D printing with an UP! Plus printer (forgive me if that may be a bad word here) and have used ABS, PLA, PLA/PHA, nylon and experimental rubber filaments to print quite a few objects.

Herein lies my problem: the UP! printer is a commercial closed source machine and users cannot control most aspects of its operation (the prime example is temperature control; a switch can be bought to fool the machine but this gives only a few more temperature ranges but it's impossible to accurately control them or even know exactly what they are). This leads to a limited ability to produce good prints with most other than branded UP! ABS filament. sad smiley

So the obvious solution for me is to buy/build a RepRap printer. This would give me all the control I am looking for (temperature, speed, slicing, larger print area, etc.) and lots of ability to tinker with settings, material and print options. I like tinkering. smiling smiley

But here is where it gets tricky. I have a disability (quadriplegia) and cannot build a machine myself. That is why I bought the UP!; because it was almost a turn key printing solution (which it is if one can be content with limited customization). But because of that I find printing I can do is very limited and I want more ability to control settings. I like to experiment and find myself increasing drawn to RepRap. The pull is beginning to feel irresistible.

I really like the Prusa i3 because the design is open (can see everything and easy to work on), lots of hot-end options, parts are easily obtainable, and is fully open source, and gets great press, etc. It can print ABS, PLA, PLA/PHA, Nylon and exotic filaments. So I found a fully assembled Prusa i3 from RepRap Universe (RepRap Universe fully assembled Prusa i3) and was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality of this machine and the parts that go into it? Would this be a good machine to buy?

My daughters help me with the UP! They load filament, take prints off, apply tape or other substances to the build platform, etc. and I have supervised the older one doing some small mods to it but building a machine totally from a kit with her help might be a stretch - although if need be I might be willing to try if that is the only option smiling smiley. Can you imagine how much a teen girl might like that!? Not. I'd have to bribe her with promise of a new cell or something. LOL.

But I look forward to any comments anyone might have. Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Garry
Re: Is a RepRap printer a good fit for someone with a disability?
July 12, 2013 08:15PM
my self i dont see it being much different, after it is built. they really work the same after that.

what about looking into a local hackerspace if you need more help building one.

i am glad you find this tech helps you, i never gave it much though to how it could help people like yourself.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 12, 2013 09:23PM
im building a i 3 waiting on heatbed i went for because its open easy to get to things i wanted a carriage either like mendel90 or prusa i3 o if necessary i can change the extruder without have rods or any other type of framework in the way

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 13, 2013 06:41AM
How about fitting a RepRap electronics to the Up!? I guess this printer uses 4-wire stepper motors, too, so you can drive them just as fine with another electronics. Same for temperature control and heater.

Such an attempt would require to re-wire the electronics, perhaps fitting new connectors to the motors and adjusting the pinout of a firmware to match what you have. Not exactly difficult.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 13, 2013 07:47AM
If you want to build a new one, I recommend you get a kit that has everything in it. I am fully capable and even I had difficulties working with a kit because the kit just wasn't put together right. This meant I had to find out everything myself, order extra parts etcetera.

I know there are many good kits around, but also a few very bad ones (don't buy any Trinitylabs kits for example).

I've heard good things from the kit that nophead sells, he's a member of the forum. And maybe, if you contact him, he can even already make sure it's easy for you to put together? I don't know, but the biggest problems in a kit are making sure the frame is square, connecting all the electronics in a safe way, etcetera. All parts need an equal amount of concentration smiling smiley
July 14, 2013 02:30AM
I am sorry to reply so late. Spent a long day working on my home network of computers and am now functional again. Thank you for your good ideas.

@dissidence
Yes, once I get a working RepRap machine I will be off and running: just getting there is the trick. I will need to look for a hackerspace in my city - thank you.

I can honestly say getting a 3D printer was a life changing event and I don't know how I could live without one now that I have experienced what they enable me to do. Disabled people need lots of adapted equipment but the problem is how to make it. Finding material and people with time and skills to build them is often very difficult (not to mention expensive in cases where someone can be found and hired). I've dreamed up so many items in the past that went un-done because of those facts. But the printer changes all that in a huge way. I can now design and make many things almost on my own. It's wonderful.

@chriss33
You are making nice progress on your machine. Looking forward to watching your progress.

@Traumflug
Wow! Doing that is beyond me. Plus it would likely void the warranty on the UP! LOL. I'd like a larger print bed too than the UP! has so will keep on the quest for a RepRap. Thank you for that idea.

@Ohmarinus
Good idea. Also good to know where not to buy from. I like the nophead kit a lot. Maybe I should contact him. If most of the tricky bits were assembled I don't think I would have much trouble getting help putting the rest together. Nice idea!

Thank you again all. If I do get a machine I will certainly post my experience.

Best regards,

Garry
January 28, 2014 06:39PM
It has been a few months now since my daughter and I finished building our Mendel90 from Nophead and I can honestly say this machine has far exceeded my expectations. I just love it. My concerns about building and using a RepRap machine proved un-necessary. There are so many good things to say about it. It is such a solid, well thought out and accessible design. Even though I have a disability and poor motor skills I am able to operate the machine quite well since all the important day-to-day workings of the machine are right at the front. And the prints just keep getting better as I learn how to adjust the slicers and work with different extruder temperatures for different filament. The machine itself - once calibrated properly - just works; and keeps on working with little attention. I am so glad I got the Medel90.
January 28, 2014 08:48PM
Garry,
I would be very interested in the kinds of things you are printing that you find useful. I am not physically handicapped in any way, and about 20 years ago I attended the robot show in Detroit. I'm an automation guy. Back then I was building robot water spraying systems that ran autonomously in large commercial greenhouses. They had a section of the show with stuff intended to help the handicapped. As I was looking at some of this I mentioned that an electric wheel chair would make a pretty good base for a robot arm. I said imagine mounting an arm on the chair that could reach from the floor to a high shelf and then rotate to give it to the occupant. Howe useful might that be? WELL, you might have thought I suggested using it to torture people! You can't do that! They might get hurt! Are you crazy! These are HANDICAPPED people, they can't do anything like that!

Wow, it is a wonder they let people use crutches, because god knows you can hurt yourself with those! It continues to this day too. My dad is in an assisted living facility. His legs are weak as he had a stroke at 48, a pacemaker at 70, a heart valve at 75, a broken hip at 78, a broken ankle at 82, and another broken hip at 83! He still won't call a nurse for help and they no longer let him use his electric chair because he MIGHT GET HURT! I'm the crazy one? Before they stopped him from using the chair I equipped it with a stainless steel "rollbar" that was slightly in front of the arm rests and about 6 feet tall. He could pull himself to a standing position easily, and then hold on as he turned around to get on the toilet, in bed, or in his easy chair. OH MY GOD thats NOT APPROVED, he COULD GET HURT!!!! Mam, he is hurt, in lots of places, I'm trying keep him from getting hurt more. Couldn't fight the system, he isn't allowed to use the chair.

I have a grandson who is ten. Dad still has the chair which he would give me. We have the Ifactory [s811.photobucket.com] and so far I haven't managed to get him really interested. I did however get the 3D printer extruder mounted on the machine this weekend, so it won't be too much longer before we can print too. We are going to the First robotics competition this Saturday for the second time. He likes to help people. Maybe we need a project that would inspire him.

So please show us what you are doing, help someone with a mental handicap, me.
January 29, 2014 07:09AM
Hi Garry, thanks for getting back to update this topic. I am very happy to hear that my advice to contact Nophead about the Mendel90 was the right advice smiling smiley It's always difficult to give advice about these things through the web, and I always feel a bit insecure about giving advice, so it's nice to hear things work out well.

Good luck, and maybe update with some pictures for us to see how your build looks and how your prints come out?
February 01, 2014 02:56PM
I am working on a remote control holder (something to hold TV, DVD player, etc. remotes) that I will post when done. It's made of large and small parts which will be glued/screwed together. It's coming along fairly well.
December 25, 2014 07:38AM
There are many people who could use an electric wheel chair, whose insurance, if they have any, will not pay for the chair because their house has too small doors for the chair to work inside. Such is my situation. I ended up buying my own, for $6K, which many people cannot. IMO an electric wheel chiar made from 3D printed parts or entirely 3D printed is a product that would be good for many people.

One of the main difficulties is that one chair will not work for everyone. Some people need leg lifts, some need seats that elevate, and everybody needs a seat to meed their body size, both narrow and wide, short and long, varying seat height, varying back rest height, some with a head rest, some without, etc. Most people travel mostly on sidewalks, but many sometimes travel on unpaved surfaces. I have been stuck in mud in the yard, and almost everyone who drives a motorized wheel chair will have it stop in an inconvenient place. Multiple sizes are necessary, ones that can carry a 100 pound woman to one that can carry a 500 pound person.

Larger chiars might be configured as a garden tractor, something I would like, because I cannot mow my lawn, and would like to have that capability.

The design for a line of chairs is challenging and IMO there is room for innovation such as a manipulator for a person who can only move their head. Fortunately, there are many off the shelf parts to make the drive train and control system.
December 25, 2014 07:12PM
Ed,
You know what surprises me about your statement about people not being able to afford an electric chair? I wanted one for my dad, and started looking on Craigslist for a used one. I was amazed, there were tons of them at very low prices! I bought a Jet 7 from a woman that had gotten it for her mother through insurance. She said she drove it once around the neighborhood, never used it again and died 6 months later. Looked like new though it sat under a tarp in her garage for 10 years. For $300 and two new batteries at $90 each we had an excellent chair. My dad hasn't used it in a while although he still has it and keeps the battery charged. I expect to donate it to someone when he passes. So if you know anyone that needs one try Craigslist and you may be pleasantly surprised.

To get back to 3D printing. Yes a 3D printer would probably be great for making chair accessories. Things like holders for different items, specialized arm, leg or head rests, etc.
December 27, 2014 09:01AM
garyhlucas
Ed,
You know what surprises me about your statement about people not being able to afford an electric chair? I wanted one for my dad, and started looking on Craigslist for a used one. I was amazed, there were tons of them at very low prices! I bought a Jet 7 from a woman that had gotten it for her mother through insurance. She said she drove it once around the neighborhood, never used it again and died 6 months later. Looked like new though it sat under a tarp in her garage for 10 years. For $300 and two new batteries at $90 each we had an excellent chair. My dad hasn't used it in a while although he still has it and keeps the battery charged. I expect to donate it to someone when he passes. So if you know anyone that needs one try Craigslist and you may be pleasantly surprised.

To get back to 3D printing. Yes a 3D printer would probably be great for making chair accessories. Things like holders for different items, specialized arm, leg or head rests, etc.

I had a hard time finding a new chair, because of my particular needs. Although it is acceptible, there are some things I'd like that were not available.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login