Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cutting

Posted by Rooski 
cutting
July 20, 2013 04:58PM
is there free host software that will let me use my prusa as a vinyl cutter ? ive made a custom drag blade so i can replace them with any xacto blade i want and ive mounted it to the x carraige and have everything working just fine. ive tried cutting an image that was sliced from the first layer of a 3d object and since the cutting edge isnt in the center and needs to be dragged it makes round edges which is a problem. so thats why im looking for host software that compensates for this issue, i know most cutter programs do.
VDX
Re: cutting
July 20, 2013 06:27PM
AFAIK Skeinforge can be switched to laser-cutter or CNC-mill mode.

But any other software should be usable, when configurable to 'printing' only one layer outline without infill ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 20, 2013 09:35PM
it needs to be able to correct for the cutting blade offset though , with repetier host if i try and cut a square out its sides are rounded because it doesnt compensate for the blade rotation and offset.
July 20, 2013 10:13PM
i thought i saw a program like that some time ago, when i was looking at hacking a circuit for cutting pcb out for me.

but its slipping my mind.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 20, 2013 10:46PM
start here: [reprap.org]

there is a program that converts gerber files to gcode. thanks to Traumflug for posting this information.

also the basics are this convert to dxf file, then create a tool path.

using a resistive ink pin involves plotting, or hand drawing. I'm up in the air on what is the best method. both cnc cutting and plotting ink are outdated methods but a must for replication.

current methods are lithographic, and toner transfer methods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2013 10:47PM by jamesdanielv.
July 20, 2013 10:49PM
i have seen work being done on injet printing onto the pcb but it seems to be quiet again.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 21, 2013 12:10AM
theres a gcode plugin for Inkscape that I've used to generate toolpaths for pen plotting, but it's actually intended for engraving or cutting. Could be worth looking into.
July 21, 2013 05:23PM
i found an extension for inkscape called inkcut , it seems to have the features i need and i can export the generated tool path as gcode, so thanks smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2013 05:25PM by Rooski.
fma
January 20, 2014 07:09AM
@Rooski,

How do you export to gcode from Inkscape?

Thanks,

Frédéric
January 20, 2014 07:58AM
Maybe with that other inkscape plugin ? Inkscape Gcodetools plug-in

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
fma
January 20, 2014 08:54AM
Thanks!

Frédéric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login