Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Second 3d printer tips

Posted by Speedsoda 
Second 3d printer tips
August 02, 2013 08:08AM
Hi everybody.

I have been thinking about selling my current 3d printer (iprint creator) and buying myself a new one instead since I feel it's not quite enough. Mostly I'm looking for a bigger print volume. My current print volume is about 10x10x10 cm, and I want at least 20 cm cube. It's also quite slow, I never seem to reliably be able go over 50 mm/s. I think twice that should not be a problem for most printers.

Anyway, before I buy something I'm gonna regret, I was hoping to get some support from the community regarding which printer I should get. To recap, here's my most important requirements:
  • Medium-Big print area, at least 20x20x20 cm.
  • Capable of printing at least 80 mm/s
  • Popular in the community(More upgrades etc. availible on for example thingiverse)
  • Open source.
  • No more expensive than ~1000 USD.

I've been looking at the Mendelmax 1.5, since it seems to fulfill most of my requirements, looks pretty nice and fits within my budget. However, even with the Mendelmax, there seem to be do's and don'ts. I read something about getting RAMPS and not Sanguinololu, getting the right belts etc etc. I saw one Mendelmax kit from Blomker for only 699 USD, which sounds tempting, but seems to use cheaper parts that might cause disappointment. I don't really know. I hope you guys can help. Thanks. =)
Re: Second 3d printer tips
August 02, 2013 08:22AM
Well, since you already own one, why not print the parts yourself?

I am currently building a MendelMax 1.5 as a second printer, my first one was a Reprap Air 2.

The MendelMax is perfectly doable, fun to build, and not that hard to build (unless you want to change certain parts yourself, which I did myself).
August 02, 2013 09:47AM
I had a blast building my MendMax 1.5. Here is my site for the build. GeoTrinket
August 02, 2013 10:54AM
I don't think you can go wrong with a MendelMax.

Sanguinololu is a good money saver if you're comfortable building it yourself (inclduing programming the AVR bootloader), intend to put a fuse inline with the power supply, and don't plan to use a heatbed. On my Prusa2 I've burned up a couple of the Molex KK connectors even though I have them crimped properly and using appropriate wire. The one I have on my Tantillus is using the HBP FET for fan PWM control. If you use Sanguinololu at all, you will need to cut one of the traces that tie the USB 5V line to the onboard 5V supply.
Hi

Has anyone thought or tried to build a Morgan? Instructions look weak.
Thanks
Anonymous User
August 03, 2013 08:43AM
August 06, 2013 07:48AM
Okay, so mendelmax seems like a reliable choice. Can anyone give me any insight on Ralph Hiltons post above? Mendel90, is it any good? 499 £ is pretty good as well.
August 06, 2013 08:19AM
Well, I really like the Mendel90, don't have one, but I know Nophead is a very dedicated person.

Speedsoda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, so mendelmax seems like a reliable choice.
> Can anyone give me any insight on Ralph Hiltons
> post above? Mendel90, is it any good? 499 £ is
> pretty good as well.
August 06, 2013 10:04AM
Can definitely second the Mendel90 : http://marcos.scriven.org/2012/12/building-mendel90.html
Speedsoda Wrote:
> Okay, so mendelmax seems like a reliable choice.
> Can anyone give me any insight on Ralph Hiltons
> post above? Mendel90, is it any good? 499 £ is
> pretty good as well.
August 06, 2013 02:10PM
Okay, so I see a Mendel90 vs Mendelmax situation forming. Any suggestions?
August 06, 2013 02:28PM
Well, I would recommend the MendelMax 1.5 still, currently haven't finished mine yet, but thats just because I'm having too much of a blast with designing my own parts for the hotend mount and extruder hahaha.

Building a MendelMax is just pure fun, the way the t-slots slide in the extrusions, the way everything just seems to belong together... It's nothing like the Reprap Air 2 I've been building, which made me cry on numerous occasions.

Before I started the build, for me it was also a doubt between the Mendel90 and the MendelMax, but because I already had a lot of parts and I could print my own MendelMax parts and because I didn't want to bother Nophead with taking out parts of the kit so I could get it cheaper, I decided to go with the MendelMax smiling smiley More exploration, more chances of things going wrong etcetera.
Re: Second 3d printer tips - M O R G A N ??
August 16, 2013 05:42PM
Sam Wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone thought or tried to build a Morgan?
> Instructions look weak.
> Thanks

I'm building one. To enable better instructions I'm documenting my work on the Morgan here:
REpRap Wiki: RepRapMorgan extended BOM
and here:
RepRap Wiki: User:RobertKuhlann/RepRap Morgan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login