Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 Y Motors?

Posted by AVRkire 
2 Y Motors?
August 15, 2013 11:30AM
I am working on a design that requires 2 Y motors. Since my Ramps 1.4 board only has pins for one Y motor, am I safe in simply splicing together both Y motors and attaching the spliced connection to the Y pins on my Ramps board?

Or could this cause accuracy issues?

Thanks
Re: 2 Y Motors?
August 15, 2013 11:34AM
it should work ok. there may be issues in how fast the motors can spin from reluctance.
August 15, 2013 11:38AM
Thanks for the feedback, I have never heard of reluctance, can you explain this a bit more?
August 15, 2013 01:17PM
The QU-Bd Revolution 3d printer has dual x and y motors and claims to be able to print at 500mm/s, though I am not sure if this has been verified yet. I would think there would be issues as I have worked with an industrial gantry style CNC router with dual y motors and its y axis speed was severely limited. The motors would frequently get knocked out of alignment which is a real PITA angry smiley Then again it was a really old CNC so I am sure there were other issues that could have contributed to this.

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 01:19PM by RP Iron Man.
August 16, 2013 02:39AM
Thanks for the feedback but i never heard this motor can some one explain this 2 Y Motors.

slipped disc
herniated disc
August 16, 2013 03:11AM
reluctance is the resistance of change from electrical fields. [en.wikipedia.org]
August 16, 2013 04:51AM
If I wanted to connect 2 Y motors, I would get two stepper controllers, and make a slave board for them. Then just run connections from existing 1 driver connection to my slave board. Of course you would have the motor connection pins in the slave board.

Using that method you get the most power for your motors. Connecting two steppers to one controller is not a good idea, in my opinion. One Pololu or StepStick cannot supply enough power for high torque use.
August 16, 2013 05:15AM
My input,
Generally hooking electric motors up in parallel with my electronic vehicles can be troublesome at times, but can work really well
Most of the time it works, but sometimes it does not.

id be running the printer and checking the current on each motor to make sure they are both drawing the same current, if not one is working harder than another, and could be out of sync or becoming less efficient operation, motors could have slight differences... make sure your using the exact same motor
you can run parallel brushed motors on the same controller and brushless- but sensored brushless might not work at all

also im sure these controllers would have power limits, the fets can only handle so much current.
You might need to run extra cooling on your controller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 05:18AM by nechaus.
August 16, 2013 12:29PM
Yeah, running digital stuff as stepper controller is almost always possible in parallel, but power electronics are a different story. Hence the recommendation for dual controllers. One Pololu can only supply about max 2 A per coil for the stepper. One big stepper can consume all that, even more.
August 22, 2013 10:45PM
my printer is corexy and uses 4 motors total, works great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login